• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tps problems...

NeoMax

NAXJA Forum User
99' XJ, I did a search cause i know there is extensive info on this. I'm pulling a P0122 from the ecu. I went ahead and swaped in a new tps and i reset the computer and now its still pulling the same code. I dont get it.
I went and got some electrical contact cleaner and cleaned the plugs and bam! it worked great! though idle was just still alittle off (bouncing +/-25 off of 750) but i marked it up to the ecu still re-learning. well I went out to eat last night and bam idle sucks and sputters badly while accelerating. The other thing I dont get is once I'm driving for a while and go into park the rpms go up to about 1500 and stay there unless I give it a good rev and then come back down to 750ish. Whats up???? Thanks all.

hmmm just read on JU by Dino, that it could possibly be my wiring harness, i'll have to try wiggling it tomorrow to see if I can cause it flauctuate.

I tried wiggling it and it didnt sputter at all, actually i unplugged it all together and at idle it still did the same thing! So what else could it be?! please SOMEONE i need some input! PLEASE, what else could be throwing a P0122 code?!?

I too have a '99 XJ, I replaced the TPS about six months ago due to the same trouble code.
I have had no problems since I put the new TPS in.
A couple of Q's to you: Was the TPS new? Perhaps tell the vendor its defective and try another. Also, are you confident you engaged the valve and sensor correctly? I know it was tricky for me.
There's a shop manual online for '99s, it covered the TPS swap perfectly.
later.

PiperRonnie, yes the TPS was new. It could possibly be faulty I dont know. Tomorrow I'm gonna take it back and get a new one and once I get home, take off my TB and clean everything all sensors, check all plugs and wires.

What I dont understand is that sometimes the code will go away when I start it and it runs perfectly fine and then all of a sudden boom CE comes and on it runs like crap. *sigh* this is getting bad.

please is there anyone out there??? please i'm beggin now, i dont know what to do :bawl: . I've done everything that has anything to do with the TPS. I dont get what else it could be. I took the TB off and cleaned EVERYTHING, and no change. I just dont get it. *sigh* please anyone???

what in the world could be causing it to fluctuate? Its not all the time, it'll be at idle and then it'll just sputter and drop down near stalling. And then it'll kick back up to idle. what could be causing this?

Back