• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does carpet from an '84-'96 fit a '97-'01? I need a replacement.

iroc86

NAXJA Forum User
The carpet in my '98 Cherokee is disgusting... the previous owner really trashed it. It appears to be beyond cleaning (matted down, stains, and a horrible smell).

I've only found a few places that sell carpeting for these vehicles. Auto Custom Carpets, the company I wanted to deal with, does not have anything availble for '97+ Cherokees. They do sell carpet for the older style, though -- are these carpet styles interchangeable?

RockAuto also appears to sell carpeting. I can get a full set, passenger area and cargo area, for $185. Has anyone used their stuff before? The carpet "series" numbers (i.e. 800, 1000) is identical to the carpet that JCWhitney sells (ACS/Dorsett brand), but JCWhitney wants more than $300 for what appears to be the same stuff. Interesting.

Last edited:
A bucket of water with Castrol Super Clean and OxiClean along with a big brush and a steam cleaner with hot clear water will rejuvenate almost any carpet. Pull the seats and go at it. I've rescued some really crappy carpets.

OXY CLEAN and the Castrol stuff works great. Get out your hose and get a good foam going with it. Scrub your a$$ off and the use a shop vac to suck it all out.

I actually own a RugDoctor unit with the upholstery attachement, but you can rent them at most grocery stores. They work wonders. You won't believe how much crap you will get out. I just use hot water in the cleaner. The key is to get all the soap out or you are just wasting your time. Everytime your foot hits the carpet, it will suck the dirt right off of your shoes.

By the way, a little SuperClean will clean the oils out of the living room floor where you tracked all the oil from the garage. The commercial cleaner has nothing for non-ionic type soils.

Another vote for Oxyclean. My old '90 was completely trashed, stained, and STUNK. I completely soaked just about everything with oxyclean, scrubbed, vacuumed with a wet vac, and then rinsed with water. Made the whole thing look almost new. Actually it wasn't even oxyclean...some knock off I found at the dollar store.

Hmm, well I guess it wouldn't hurt to try cleaning it before I spend a few hundred bucks :). I was talking to a friend of mine, and he has access to a "professional grade" steam cleaner... used to detail cars at a car lot.

I think the majority of the odor is coming from the sound dampening material (jute/microjute?) underneath the carpet. I've been told that it's very difficult to clean that stuff thoroughly -- something about making sure it's completely dry before reinstalling it. I suppose I could just buy new matting, but I'd probably try a heat gun first.

Back