• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water water every where

Cliff

NAXJA Forum User
ok driving home from work tonight at 3 a.m. somthing went wrong with my cooling system i got a 96 xj 175,000 miles with a open cooling system the radiator and hoses are the same as when i bought it 50,000 miles ago.

there is antifreze everywhere did not find the leak with a flash light will try and find in the morning. anyone have sugestions on how to figure out if its a bad radiator or water pump if its not a blown hose. or vary apparent in the morning

thanks all

Clean it off, and run it while it is light. Any major leak will be obvious with day light. Good luck man, hopefully just a hose.

I've got a 96 xj with 141k and when I removed the electric aux fan to replace my serpentene belt, the fan sheild just "touched" the radiator and some fins tore. The copper is very tired and in the spring I'll replace the rad before it leaves me stranded like yours. They're not too expensive even locally.

JoBo

as far as i can tell the gasket between my water pump and the block gave way im repacing the pump anyway seeing it only $40 two questions though

1: is it normal for this gasket to start leaking
2: my old lower radiatior hose has a spring like contraption in it is this normal? my new hose dose not have this

A sudden leak like that from the gasket doesn't sound 'normal' but keep an eye on things as you disassemble it to make sure that really was the source of the leak.

The OEM hose has a spring in it to prevent the hose collapsing under high RPM when it's hot. Some aftermarket hoses have this molded into them while OEM ones seem to be an insert. It's not always present, and not always needed, but always seems to be one of many possible sources when there are overheating problems.

Cliff said:
as far as i can tell the gasket between my water pump and the block gave way im repacing the pump anyway seeing it only $40 two questions though

1: is it normal for this gasket to start leaking
2: my old lower radiatior hose has a spring like contraption in it is this normal? my new hose dose not have this

are you sure its not leaking from the weep hole?

got the water pump instaled and everything back together took a nice long test drive to work and back so far evrything is holding with the new water. i can only hope this is the last jeep fix till after xmass or the wife will probly kill me :)

what would cause fluid to leak out the weep hole just so i can keep an eye out for it and where is the weep hole

The weep hole is under the neck of the waterpump. When the seal fails it will start to weep out that hole as an early warning of imminent failure.

most of the time when a water pump is on its way out it will start to leak at the "weep" hole, the bearing goes bad and and starts to get movement other than rotational and the seal lets go too, also you can check the fan blade for movement, other than rotational(discalimer- do not do this with the engine running......just kidding).

dizzymac said:
most of the time when a water pump is on its way out it will start to leak at the "weep" hole, the bearing goes bad and and starts to get movement other than rotational and the seal lets go too, also you can check the fan blade for movement, other than rotational(discalimer- do not do this with the engine running......just kidding).
Of course that applies more to vehicles where the fan is integral to the waterpump; that's not the case with the XJ 4.0L

thank you all for your help

im relitivly new to this car repair thing but i must say with every new project it gets a little easyer and it most definitly feels good to look at that motor and say "yep i fixed that." even if it was only a water pump i have coworkers that take there raised fullsized trucks in to the dealer to get the plugs changed then bitch that ford charged them $100-$200 to do it

Back