• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Storage

MN-Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
In a few days here I will be putting my '97 XJ into storage for the Minnesota winter. I will be driving my old '90 XJ.

It will be in a Heated garage with a car cover to help keep dust off of it.

I know to disconnect the battery while it is parked, and to start it at least once a week to keep it lubricated. Other than that I'am not sure what should be done.

I will be changing the oil before I park it. And filling the tank with new gas. Do I need any gas stabilizer for that amount of time?

Should it be put on blocks, or is it fine?

Anything that I forgot?

Brian

I think I would put some stabil in, the gas over the last few years has turned to crap as far as longivity is concerned. I used to be able to leave a full tank in either the lawnmower, tractor or snow blower and have them fire right up when I needed them. Thats changed or seems to have changed around 2000 or 2001, now the stuff seems to go bad in 2-3 months and stinks like varnish....
On the other hand I've gotten really good at tearing the tractor, mower, snowblower, chainsaw, brushcutter carbs apart for cleaning. Just did the blower on tuesday and refilled with new gas...
Put it up on jackstands and let some air out of the tires, trickle charger works for the baattery too, thats how I used to store the MC's for the winter...

I usually spray all the rubber mouldings, door seals and window slides with a silicon rubber preservative (read the label some silicons are not rubber firendly). Doesn´t happen in one season, but over the years they dry out and crack. Seems to be worse when pollen or dust settles on there.
The rubber was the only real damage I ever noticed, from storing my Jeeps for extended periods, when I was in the military. Other than the gas turning to sludge. I light coat of WD-40 (leaves a little wax, when it dries) on the brake discs, can help prevent rust and burns off quick. Rust on the brake discs, makes noise and often doesn´t go away for quite a while.
I used to spray the whole Jeep down (to wash off any residual salt or mud), at a spray and wash. With the wax program at the end, under, over and in the engine bay, seeemed to help some.
Oiled and greased everything that moves, door hindges, hood releases whatever, a spray can of white grease works well for this.
Another good tip, is to make sure all the salt is off of there, before storage. The spots you miss, turn white, crusty and show up pretty well when it´s been sitting for awhile, just from the moisture in the air.

Alright, I'll take all of those suggestions into consideration. Do you know where they sell that rubber preservative?

Brian

Just disconnect the battery and let it sit. There's no need to start it every week. Change the oil before you store it. There's no reason for stabilizer in 20 gallons of gas...the more gas you have the slower it goes bad. My old '90 sat for 3 years out in the weather with 1/2 tank gas. Not only did it run fine on that gas, but it passed an emissions test as good as a new jeep!

just to clarify, i would put jackstands under the suspension so the jeep's suspension is at its resting stance and the tires are off the ground, this will keep the shocks at the proper height and the tires wont flat spot.

MN-Cherokee said:
Alright, I'll take all of those suggestions into consideration. Do you know where they sell that rubber preservative?

Brian

I bougt mine at a Aral gas Station, think they share products with Shell, same stuff different label.

Like one post said dont worry about startin it. If you do and it dosent warm up all the way your gonna end up with condensation in the oil which is worst than sitting with fresh oil. If you have mice problems dryer sheets in the cab or near any ducting will help. They hate the smell and wont invade the heater system or cab.

I'd put it on blocks to keep the tires from getting flat spots, although if it's just for the winter I don't think it will matter much. Also, depending on where you're storing it, put a piece of steel wool in the tailpipe, and cover the air intake, so that mice don't get in. Make sure the windows are closed fully too.

Make sure it's nice and clean, and wash out the battery tray. I wouldn't bother to start it during storage, and if it's in a heated and dry garage, the brakes should be fine. Even if gas stabilizer isn't necessary, it couldn't hurt.

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I just bring this one back up. I am not lucky enough to have a heated garage to store my jeep in, while I am away at college, so it will be sitting outside. I disconnected the battery, added fuel stabilizer, changed the oil, washed it, and put a cover on it. Since I live in Ohio and it has been getting pretty cold here, do I need to worry about anything else? Like the battery freezing or something? Thanks.

I'd take the battery out and store it in the house, put it on some wood not on a concrete floor or steel shelf.
If it's parked on grass lay a long 2x4 down lengthwise under the XJ from nose to tail, lay a plastic tarp on the 2x4 and stretch it out then park the XJ on top of it. This will allow rain and such to run off from underneath. Don't forget stabil in the gas tank and run it after adding the stabil so it gets in the lines and injectors. Then you can cover it with a VENTED car cover... A cheapie plastic one will trap moisture under it and rust and mold will follow... it also would not hurt to get the tires off the ground either...

Here in Tx, we just park the thing in the garage and wait the two weeks until winter is over then drive on! Dang how long are your winters?<shudder>

My 2 XJs were just parked like any other day and left alone. I should have pulled the battery and maintained it but otherwise it was just fine and started right up with a boost.

Not that doing all that stuff isn't a decent idea its not going to die if you don't.

Back