• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Cherokee temp gauge under the 165 mark?

5.0 Junkie

NAXJA Forum User
Stays under there all the time. Mark at 100, an unmarked one, then the next is 210. Stays under the unmarked one all the time. T-stat stuck open? Heater in warm, but not hot. Any input. I'm new to Jeeps, but not working on vehicles. I'm also replacing tons of stuff on the thing. Haven't gotten to cooling system yet.

jldiaz said:
Yeah. I´d check the T-stat first too.

There's an easy way to check the t'stat. Open the hood and start the engine from cold. Put your hand on the upper radiator hose and gently squeeze it intermittently while the engine's idling. It should be cool and soft if the t'stat is closed. When the coolant reaches t'stat opening temp., the hose will suddenly harden and become very hot. Check the gauge reading at this point.
If the t'stat is stuck open from the outset, the hose will become hard right away and only slowly get warmer.

I hadn't gotten that far yet. With all of the talk of these things overheating, I thought it odd that mine seems to be running cold. Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at it this weekend.

Ever since I built my stroker, my temp gauge has run low. I confirmed things were actually running the right temp with a non-contact IR thermometer. I haven't ever had a chance to check it out, but I think there must be different gauge / sender combinations. My rig used to be a 4cylinder 85. The current engine is a Renix based 4.7L stroker. I think think the gauge for the 4 banger and the 6 banger have different scaling.

Back