• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to Remove Thrust Pin + Spring on Camshaft Timing Gear? Any Other Tips?

Johnny V

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone,

I'm replacing the timing chain and gears on my '89 XJ I-6.

I have three questions.

In both Chilton's and Haynes' manual it mentions to remove the thrust pin and spring on the camshaft timing gear. I'm just not sure how to do it. The manuals don't mention how to do it either? Help?

Also could not find the timing mark on the crankshaft gear - that's the lower smaller gear. Is the mark on the outside gear's front or is it in by the teeth?

After I remove the camshaft bolt does the whole assembly just slide out? Or do I need a puller for the crankshaft gear on bottom?

Any help would appreciate.

John V.

pull the pin out with a pair of pliers if it is hard to pull out there is carbon build up in the hole so make sure its clean and oiled before install.the gears should just pull off mine did if not a puller will do the trick.as for the timing mark i cant recall at this moment but it should be clear to see on the gear a dot or arrow.

Thanks for your help Honda12!

Yep the thrust pin just pulls out. I thought it was some kind of locking device and was more complicated then it was.

I located the timing mark on the lower gear. As it turns out there is a removable "splash guard" in front of the gear - I thought the splash guard and gear was one piece until I picked up the new timing chain set and compared. The splash guard was hiding the timing mark.

Yep the gears just slide right off after unbolting the top camshaft gear. Had to use a screwdriver to get it going.

It was a little tricky to loosen the bolts and not move the gears. Had to loosen, turn the gears and tighten a few times to keep the orientation. I also stuck a thin screwdriver in the chain to help stop it from moving.

John V.

Back