• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Now I have my own turn signal problem!

tchase

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so after replying to a turn signal question last night, I get in the XJ this morning and discover I now have a problem of my own. When I activate either turn signal both dash indicators and the high beam indicator flash. The signals themselves seem to work properly though. I first suspected the milti-function swicth as I know it does have some issues (no self-cancelling, no washer), but since the lights still work I think it must be something else. My best guess is bad ground/connections in the gauge cluster and that's where I'm gonna start looking right now. Has anyone ever had a similar problem?
Thanks,
Tony
PS My speedo and fuel gauges also stop working sometimes, so that's why I suspect the cluster.

Update: I guess I should have paid closer attention to my symptoms. While the signals do work ok, none of the other front lights work including the headlights. I only the discovered this after removing and checking the cluster. Any help would be much appreciated as the other xj just went to the bodyshop, my car is buried in the snow, and it'll be dark in 2 hours. Any ideas?
Tony

Well, just the other day, I went to pull out the knob to turn on my headlights when the whole knob pulled right out of the dash.

I drove home with my blinkers on, but they were a little hesitant by the time I got home.

I am going to replace the headlight switch module. It is a $12 piece at Autozone. That will be a catch all for me...maybe for you as well.

There is a plunger on the bottom of the module that you can see through the bottom of the dash. If you push up on that and pull the light handle at the same time, the handle will come out. Then unscrew the screw that the handle came out of from the front of the dash. That will release the module. You should be able to pull it out from the back of the dashboard, and detach the module from the wiring harness. Install the opposite of disemblely and you will be back in business.

It's worth a try. I'm not sure if the directions are in the Haynes or Chiltons, but were in my FSM.

Good luck.

Ok the emergency is over...for now. The lights are back on, not sure what did it though. I checked the connector under the airbox and yes it is very rotten as I wiggled it one wire broke completley off. Checked the wiring diagram and the rotten wire was for the horn (now I also have no horn). I also jiggled the ground connection on the back corner of the block and the one right beside the PCM. So I'm not sure if the problem was the plug or one of those grounds. Regardless I've got to do something about that plug. I have an '87 parts XJ, does anyone know if it uses the same plug? It's buried under a lot of snow and I'm not gonna bother digging it out if there's nothing I can use. I'm probably just going to wind up taking the plug out and soldering in some new wires anyway though.

Back