• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brand new and have a problem

xjrrrdx

NAXJA Forum User
Well i am brand new to NAXJA and it looks like i can get a lot of answers. I have a 96 XJ Classic with 140k on the engine. Its all stock but today I had some very frightening problems.

I was getting of the interstate by coasting at about 40-50mph when all of a sudden I hit a dip and next thing i know the jeep shakes like it is going to fall apart.

SO this is a new problem I found today as well. So I slowed down and it went away. I went to a parking lot and made sure it didnt slip out 2wd. So I put it in 4hi and went forward with no issues, but as soon as turned the wheel i heard this binding and rubbing noise and the wheel started jerking in my hands, so i put the wheel straight and the wheel stops jerking but the rubbing/binding is still there. It only goes away when I put it in 2wd. Go easy on me i am a rookie haha.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
xjrrrdx said:
Well i am brand new to NAXJA and it looks like i can get a lot of answers. I have a 96 XJ Classic with 140k on the engine. Its all stock but today I had some very frightening problems.
Ehhh...it's just getting broken in at that age.
I was getting of the interstate by coasting at about 40-50mph when all of a sudden I hit a dip and next thing i know the jeep shakes like it is going to fall apart.
Got a lift? If so, how much, and tell me about the trackbar. This sounds like it could be Death Wobble, so we're going to recommend the usual suspects of alignment, wheel balance, inflation, loose or worn trackbar mounts or steering components.
SO this is a new problem I found today as well. So I slowed down and it went away. I went to a parking lot and made sure it didnt slip out 2wd. So I put it in 4hi and went forward with no issues, but as soon as turned the wheel i heard this binding and rubbing noise and the wheel started jerking in my hands, so i put the wheel straight and the wheel stops jerking but the rubbing/binding is still there. It only goes away when I put it in 2wd. Go easy on me i am a rookie haha.
Which transfer case do you have? NP231 "Command-Trac" with 2-4H-N-4L, or the NP242 "Selec-Trac" with 2-4Part-4Full-N-4L? If the 231, you don't want to run it in 4Hi in the parking lot or freeway unless there's a decent amount of slippage (snow, ice, mud) available.

Thanks for all the help![/QUOTE]

There is no lift. And the NP231. How do i go about checking the track bar. I think i am setting myself up for flames with questions like that.

Arrgggg....I lost the reply. Anyway, if you can wait 'til Sunday there's a meet-n-greet at the Buckingham Square mall to support the Toys For Tots drive; bring a new, unwrapped toy to enter the raffle and I'm sure there will be more than a few of us available to look at the trackbar and steering. Details should be in the Colorado forum. If that's not available, post up in CO anyway and we've got quite a few folks in that area who should be able to help out.

Aside from the obvious "check for worn out front end parts" I'd look first at the axle shaft universal joints, because the problem seems to be related to turning and 4WD operation, and also at the steering stabilizer, which won't cause these problems but if it fails the problems will seem more severe.

The track bar has a simple bolt-through-a-hole bushing at the axle end, and a big ball joint at the frame end. I think if you wiggle and wobble and yank at things, you'll probably notice severe wear if it's there. It might help if you have another person who can rock the body and push it sideways while you are underneath to see if you can spot movement where there shouldn't be any.

While you're at it, you should jack up each side of the front axle a little (by the axle tube), just enough to get a lever under a tire, and use the lever under the tire to test for ball-joiint play. No up-down play should be visible in the ball joints. If there is wear, it's most likely in the top joint, and you can see the movement at the grease seal.

Back