• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 Cherokee Front Bumper Removal Questions

IdeaMan

NAXJA Forum User
It looks like it's going to be a real pain in the a$$ to remove the bumper to put my new tow hooks on.

Do I have to take off all this plastic crap? It seems like the plastic in the wheel wells is all attached to the plastic behind and around the bumper. It has all those plastic door panel type push-in plastic rivets (or whatever the hell they're called).

I also have the lower valence and factory fog lights.

Also, can anyone tell me what size Torx sockets I need to go buy before I start the project and where a cheap place to ge them is?

Any other helpful tips pertaining to me exact bumper situation would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

I can't help with the bumper itself... or the Torxes... but...

If I remember all this correctly... each plastic corner cap is attached with
(TWO) bolts up into the bottom of the fender (10mm, IIRC, and you'll need extensions!), TWO screws (or is it three) up into the bottom of the bumper (Phillips), and an annoying pop-rivet into the front chin spoiler (I drilled 'em out and replaced with a stainless nut/bolt).

I don't *think* that any of the black plastic push-in pins are involved with the bumper caps... they solely hold the fender liners and the big rubber flap under the engine. (These are nicknamed "Christmas-tree fasteners" -- and they're available in the Lowes hardware dept as a "GM" style if you need some!)

And the bumper covers are not attached to the flares.

They were a pain in the ass... but not nearly as bad as the REAR ones were (before I learned the "trick"... ).

All per my 2000, recently reassembled... :cool:

Den

Try THIS SITE .... It's for the installation of a Tomken bumper, but it provides pretty good instructions on removing the stock one. Be sure to click on the pictures for the close up views of the procedure. You will also need a T-50 torx bit to remove some bolts under the plastic end caps. The write will tell you how to get to those....

Ivan

Ivan, you are the man! That is exactly what I was hoping to find... and it looks a LOT easier than I thought.

Pulling this bumper off kinda has me thinking I should sell my new tow hooks and buy a custom bumper instead!

I removed my factory bumpers a while ago and speaking from experiance its alot easier to go ahead and buy a full set or Torx, save you time, money, and headaches. Especially if you plan to do more aftermarket mods

Back