• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips & tricks for bushing renewal required

Chancer

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I've just received my box of poly bushings, courtesy of 4WD, and wondered what advice people have for doing the renewal. I've got to tackle the control arms and swaybars as a matter of priority, and will move on to the other bits and bobs on the front end if I have time, saving the rear spring bushing set for last, possibly holding back until a BB.

Specifically, it's come with what I assume to be little tubes of grease in each of the individual packs: I remember Dr Dyno saying that his LCA bushings squeak pretty badly: could I use the type-specific grease I have for the elastomer suspension forks on my mountain bike to counter this? Also, what tools might I need to tackle the rear LCA bushing - it is that one that's the PITA to do, isn't it?

TIA

Like Goatman said in his original post, a tool can be made that works great. I personally use a Harbor Freight ball joint press. Around here you can use the tool loaner plan at Autozone to get an identical press. It works well and you can't beat the price.

Lots of luck.

The only thing I would add, is if you have stock front control arms, to put something metal or strong plastic in the u-channel to prevent collapsing the control arm when you press the bushings.

Back