• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After market rotors

dubbinxj

NAXJA Forum User
Mainly Power Slot. What do you all think of this?
Cross drilled are out of the question.
I've had to change my rotors 3 times in 4 yrs. All 3 times the rotors were from the stealership. I've read somewhere that the rotors really don't matter.
To just get a pair from the stealership but to use an excellent pair of pads like Hawk brake pads (what do you guys think of these as well).

It's time to change them again. I think its too late to have them turned.
Just looking into other options. Pro's/con's of the Poweer slots and the Hawk pads?

Thanks all! :spin1:

the problem with slotted rotors is as soon as you get mud, rocks in them then they will tear up your pads and rotor

get a pair of brake pads with a lifetime warranty, and you should be able to turn a rotor sevral times, assuming it gets grooves worn in them, if they're flat still then you just need pads

Must have been Race Shopper - they want half as much as the other outfit.

I'm going to get a set for my wife's 89, but it's about 95% street-driven and I'm not worried about mud and crud - just California drivers! They're going to be drilled/slotted for maximum effect - she has a strange habit of eating brake pads (I know it's not her driving - I checked it out without telling her so she wouldn't do anything different a while ago...)

I do like the way that SP Performance machines their rotors - I like the nice radii on the slots and the holes, thus nearly eliminating heat and stress risers.

For off-road, I'd probably go with slotted only, since the slots should be somewhat self-clearing, and should be no more subject to getting crudded up than standard rotors. If you fully expect trouble with FOD (Foreign Object Damage) on your brakes, you might want to use a wheel shield to cover the openings in the wheel face. There is a shield over the back everywhere there isn't caliper...

So, I've not installed them yet, but I plan to and I'll review them after about a year. They're going in as part of a full brake system restoration (replacing a lot of 15-year old hardware...)

5-90

Mine's a 89 as well. I really like how SP made their rotrs with the chamfers, ect. Shows they spend the time to make the rotors the correct way and one of the main reason I went with them. Looked like a really good well made unit and I have had them for a year and no complaints. My KVR Carbon Fiber and the SP rotrs have really worked well for me.

Back