• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Granada 9"

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
I recently managed to obtain a ford 9" w/disc & trac-loc, but the ratio is 2.70:1. It is 58" surface to surface and I was wondering if it would be suitable for a on/offroad rig. Also, is there anyone in the Seattle area that has 3.55's for one of these?

Building a rig and running trails will teach you more about engineering and physics than any professor will. Too many engineers get out of school and have not practical experience or common sense.

A word to the wise, school is a long hard time consuming slog. Try to stick to the short easy projects to start with first or the lack of time and money will get you depressed real quick.

A Granada w/rear discs? I didn't think there was such a thing. Are you sure you don't have a Lincoln unit?
For a cheap gear swap in a passenger car 9", look for the pumpkin from a F-100 pickup with the gears you are looking for. IIRC, they are 28 spline like the passenger car nine inch rears, and can be swapped.
It's an okay unit (less splines, smaller bearings, weaker housing, etc.) compared to the F-150 models or the aftermarket high zoot stuff.
I ran a Mustang 9" in a 5.0 converted Bronco II on 32s and it held up a heck of a lot better than the factory Ford 7.5 pos ever did. I got it free, and free is my price so I ran it.

What are you trying to accomplish with a rear end swap?

crazyoffroader said:
I recently managed to obtain a ford 9" w/disc & trac-loc, but the ratio is 2.70:1. It is 58" surface to surface and I was wondering if it would be suitable for a on/offroad rig. Also, is there anyone in the Seattle area that has 3.55's for one of these?

Did you get this thing off of Pirate? I saw 1 like this on there in Oregon. Go with deeper (higher gear #'s) if you are going to regear like 4.10, 4.56 etc etc depending on your needs and tire size. The ford 9" has infinite possibilities and can be built from mild to wild 28 spline to 40 spline 6.xx gears etc etc. :)
Troy

What I am trying to accomplish is to get rid of the d35c I have and add rear discs in the process.
No, I haven't been to pirate4x4 yet, I got the rear out of a local salvage yard(some guy's back yard in Auburn).

old_man said:
Building a rig and running trails will teach you more about engineering and physics than any professor will. Too many engineers get out of school and have not practical experience or common sense.

A word to the wise, school is a long hard time consuming slog. Try to stick to the short easy projects to start with first or the lack of time and money will get you depressed real quick.
That is very good advice.
I have a set of 3.55 gears in my 9" right now that are coming out over x-mas break. PM me if you are interested. Seriously though, I would not jump into this bizare project if I were you. But you will do what you want.

Back