• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Grinding.

Hiaboo

NAXJA Forum User
Yo guys..

I recently lifted my jeep with a mix n match set up (OME 2" in front, and Dakota leafs in the rear, gives me 3" to 3.5") and then when I finished the setup a couple of weeks ago..

It was all good, until a few days later I began to get a little strange grinding thing when I'd be up at speed (above 30 mph) when I'd let go of the gas, it grinds, then when I accelerate, it grinds, it's not a prolonged grind but just briefly enough for maybe 2 seconds then stops, it does this every time I put on the gas and let it off. and it does not happen at full stop, and then accelerating.. only when it's at speed.

A friend has said it's possibly the ring and pinon, carrier bearings, axle bearings.. A thought I had is that the axle's moving somehow when I put the gas on.. I'll double check the connections but I think that's all good.

No vibrations or whatever, shifting is smooth, engine runs fine, so I think its the reare end? but how do I determine that... and I'm at school so I don't have a whole lot that I can do..

also, the jeep's a 94 country.

Might be the driveshaft pulling a little too far out of the slip yolk. Happened to me when i only had my rear lifted and the front would nosedive when braking creating a grind. Could be a lot of things though really. Try to have a friend pinpoint the location of the sound in a parking lot if possible and go from there. just my $0.02

I had the same thing happen with my '99. It turned out that there was not enough engagement at the slip yoke. It would happen whenever the drivetrain was not under load. I had enough slip to keep the shaft on while flexing,but with the lift I believe there was not enough spline engagement.
When I installed my SYE the grinding was gone. I had very minimal vibs with the old shaft,but added the SYE to get rid of the grinding.

Jerry

Hiaboo said:
Yea.. thats a good thought.. ht yoke only came out around .5" though so.. I dunno about that.

The less engagement the better chance it has to do this. If less then half of the slip yoke is enguaging and/or is over center you get the grinding. Try a YJ Yoke on your shaft, it is about a half inch longer. HTH

Jerry

Back