• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanna lift another 2"

canadian-xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there, I have a 1991 limited xj with a re 5.5 xtreme duty short arm lift with drop brackets and adjustable trac bar. just wondering what the easiest way of lifting it another 2 inches is? Just worried that my new 33x12.50x15 swampers are going to eat my fender flares.

i wouldnt lift anymore, just cut your fenders. you can run 35's under this lift. im running 33x12.5R 15's under the same lift and i only needed to trim very little up front. but after going offroad you are limited by your front fenders some so i cut and relocated the factory flares and i have more then enough room. heres some pics of what i did. im actually going to TJ flares here soon to get even more room.

stock / the minor trim
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/243790_210_full.jpg
cut and relocated
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/243790_207_full.jpg
full pic with minor cut
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/243790_180_full.jpg
full pic with cut and relocated
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/243790_222_full.jpg

i agree with lore5 man. there is no need to go any bigger with this lift. a buddy of mine is running 37's under a 3inch lift and he tucks them. all you need to do is cuz your fenders. there are plenty of write ups and threds on here about cutting fenders. jason over at jeepin.com has a good write up in the bushwacker install that he did. check it out man.

i disagree. go with an add a leaf in the rear and maybe even the new re 7.5 coils in the front theres your 2 inches and that tire wont even think about eating ur fenders. fluidmotion i would love to see that picture of 37's under a 3 inch lift. im calling bs on that.

BoostyKid said:
i disagree. go with an add a leaf in the rear and maybe even the new re 7.5 coils in the front theres your 2 inches and that tire wont even think about eating ur fenders. fluidmotion i would love to see that picture of 37's under a 3 inch lift. im calling bs on that.

an AAL wont benefit a lift pack in the same manner.. but i say trim a lil.. to each his own, but i dont see why 33x12.50s will eat your flares if you use proper bumpstops and trim selectively, i assume you want to keep th ebody intact and dont want to cut..
i would be careful about calling BS on stuff.. CheapXJ stuffed 36s under a budget boost.... had to fabricate new wheel wells but he did it..

That's what I'm running on my XJ, Rusty's shackle and coil spacers. Doesn't affect the ride quality or spring rates, just gives you the height. Whenever I get some money together I plan on stacking the BB on top of a RE 3.5" with a bit of minor trimming.

BoostyKid said:

ive talk to this guy a few times. hes over on jeepin.com forum. i was wrong about the tire size. they are 36's but he even told me that the measure out to nearly 37's. here is the like to the post. hes flexin on a VW hood
http://jeepin.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=006090

I'm running 37's on the RE 5.5" short arm kit with proper bumpstops and generous trimming, but not to the point of rebuilding/welding the rear wheel. I could get away with lowering it some more if I did some more surgery to the fenders. Adding 2" more to the RE 5.5" kit just to run 33's is silly. If you want to add to the kit because you don't want to trim, that's up to you, but keep your flexing to the speed bumps at the mall, because anything bigger than that and you will flip over.

so you guys dont believe me... I am running 36 tsl, 4inches max of lift and tj flares only rub at full stuff when springs are maxed out.

brian1.jpg

maybe some of you know Ryan, Cheapxj.com, pronmong3r whatever he goes by over here
should he just turned down a nomination those are his old tires, he had htem on 2 inches of lift

heres some of mine on the trail, rock creek at rausch creek

rausch06.jpg

rausch09.jpg

rausch15.jpg

xjfrancis said:
but to fit 37s under a 3 inch lift you would have to have no wheel wells at all

actually i have wheel wells, sized to fit tj flares, think bout it with tj flares it makes sense... tjs run 35 on 4 inches with no problems

also something nobody commented on, no matter what size lift you have, to fit the tires in the fender wells it requires the same amount of trimming. XJ wells cant fit anything over 31s without trimming even if that is 32s on 20 inches of lift

Back