• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep not running

gtpolkus

NAXJA Forum User
99 cherokee classic, stock

I went out to my jeep today, and the battery was dead. No biggie, I'll just jump start it! It started fine, and then I ran it for about ten minutes and parked it. I went out to start it again after two hours of sitting and all I got was the starter solenoid clicking, so I figured that I didn't let it charge long enough. I got the jumper cables out again, went to turn it over and the engine fired and went dead. The engine was cranking, there was no firing. I left the key in the "run" position to build fuel pressure thinking it was the fuel pump, but that didn't work. The jeep did start when I put my foot on the gas, and the engine ran smoothly, but it will not hold an idle. The only way it will start is if my foot is on the gas. The plugs/ distributor cap/ rotar/ wires are a month old, battery is original (from what I can tell). Help me out here, this wasn't what I needed on the day of my physics exam!

my tps had a similar problem

also check fuses... simple...

Two Things:
First off; since you're battery was dead, your computer may need to go through a "re-learn procedure" of some sort. I'm not sure what the actual procedure for this is, but basically if you keep it running long enough to dive it a bit it may be fine after a bit. Try searching on here for "dead battery",ECU re-learn" or something like that and you might find more specifics.
Secondly; why was the battery dead? Might be time for a new one.
Tony

Sounds like either a battery with an open cell or a alternator acting up. Try swapping the battery from the other vehicle and see how it runs. Take the bad??? battery to someplace like Autozone and let them charge it and then test it.

Chrysler electronic systems are pretty well known for not running right when the battery is not taking a charge correctly. A truly dead battery usually will not put a load on the alternator. I don't know whether it's the high voltage, or the noise in unfiltered alternator output, but this problem isn't uncommon when you start with a boost and the battery itself is no good. I'd at least start with the battery issue before looking at other things like the CPS, etc.

if the jeep loses battery voltage, it can erase the memory. when you get it started you must keep it running and slowly let off of the acceerator so the computer can relearn base idle by adjusting the iac motor.

Back