• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSB and Recalls...

tthompson10

NAXJA Forum User
How does one go about finding which of the above have been done and which haven't on a newly purchased veh? I recently bought an 87 Wagoneer Limited through Private Sale.

Log onto the Jeep web site, find the 800 number for customer assistance, and call them with the VIN number. I believe they will check recalls for you. TSBs are not recalls and are not mandatory -- dunno if they will have a record of those.

Take it to the dealer to have them run the VIN. I did that on my 96 after I bought it a few years ago and it took about 10 minutes to make sure all recommended services (not maintenance) had been done.

Or you can look them up at the NHTSA website for any make and model. Once at the site, just click the recall link on the "Popular Info" links, on the left side of the NHTSA page.

Click here for NHTSA site

Ivan

The NHTSA site won't tell you if the dealer has done that work though.

Thanx alot guys... I initially tried the dealership but when he ran my VIN he said the veh was to old to be in their records... It's only an 87, So that didn't quite make much sense to me but hey... what are ya gonna do. Thanx again.

tthompson10 said:
Thanx alot guys... I initially tried the dealership but when he ran my VIN he said the veh was to old to be in their records... It's only an 87, So that didn't quite make much sense to me but hey... what are ya gonna do. Thanx again.
He's right -- sort of.

Chrysler bought Jeep from American Motors in early 1988 and they didn't get their computer systems merged until later in the year. My dealer is pretty good about running build sheets for me when I ask. They can pull a build sheet for an '88, although some of the codes don't relate to equipment I know to be on (or not on) the vehicle, so I think Chrysler must have used similar codes. But for anything older than an '88, if they run the VIN they basically get a blank report. I don't think Chrysler felt it was worth the effort to bring in the older AMC vehicles.

Back