• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new tires in the spring

88woody

NAXJA Forum User
Like the post says, I want to get some off-road tires next spring. I am looking for something mid-priced, able to wear good on the pavement, but perform excellent off-road. ie: mud, rocks, sand etc.
I am not willing to regear at the moment, so my size is limited to a 31" or 30"
The reason I am waiting till the spring is the budget does not allow for both a set of good winter tires and off road tires. I would like to make them one and the same, but in Maine, I can't go up more than two tire sizes when it comes time for an inspection. So, I'll get some winter tires in 235's, and later the real tires.
BTW, I am thinking in the $125-$175 range.
And no, I am not interested in re-treads.;)

if you want to stick with 235s for inspection pick up a good set of used tires on steel wheels and swap them on at inspection time.. you didnt specify what you have for a lift (if any) so i assume you have done your homework regarding what will fit.. buy some INTERCO super swamper TRUXXS in the 31 flavor and when "that time of year" rolls around, dust of the 235s and run them for the day... most people with lifted rigs do exactly this.. dont waste the $$ on 2 new sets of tires... buy your new ones now and get an inspection before you mount them, so you have a year to find a decent set of 235s....

How will the Interco's perform in the snow? My main concern is to get thru this winter in one piece and then start fresh in the spring.

They are a little more expensive but have you consider the Parnelli Dirt Grips? They are excellent in snow, the best I have ran or ran with(MTR's, BFG's, SSR's, Claws, X-terrains, TSL/SX's). Street manners are very good. Tread wear is 35-40k. 31's are the only option in them though and they do run a full 31+" tall. I've ran a couple sets of the 31's and will be going to 33's of the same about Jan.

If you want tires for the snow, look at the BFG AT's. They're great in the snow and also have great tread life. Not bad on the trail if you don't plan on doing anything to intense.

Interco's are great in the snow. Due a quick search & it should turn up some threads from the last couple of weeks on them. JIM.

Back