• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need answer on loud noise Getting ticked off

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a really loud noise coming from my jeep
its like loud tire sound times ten and its in the rear. I have loud mud terrains but thats not it
it only makes the sound when i am not pressing the gas or braking. and it stops under 15 mph. I looked back there and my rear sway bar was up against my tire, so i removed it tonight, went for the test drive and the sound hadn't gone away
ANY IDEAS?
thanks

If something moved the sway bar to the side enough to hit, then maybe something else moved along with it.
I would check for things like a leaf twisted out to the side(very rare), something in the brakes(I got a noise from a spring in my drum dropping in somewhere a while back that reacted to gas/breaking like you said), maybe a shot bearing?

bad pinion bearing? could be improperly set up gears (wrong backlash)?

dellstopjeep said:
the gears where used, but the install kit and carrier were new. i guess i shouldnt have wasted my frakin money on used gears.

what brand gears are they?

My brother's comanche has Yukon gears and they are noticeably louder than the stock spicer gears in my rig. I've been told that this is just normal for Yukons, but I don't see what would make them make more noise over any other gears if set up properly.

not sure on the rears, the instal kit was yukon and same with carrier
but the ring and pinion i dont know about. AWhen i had them put in they said it matched up prefect, my fronts and yukon everything and they are quite. right when im bout to buy 35's, i have like 3 problems that are gonna steal that money away.

having the shop check it out tonight, hopefully a new ring and pinon isnt needed, im poor!

What axle do you have?

My 8.25" just howls, plain and simple. Been through two gear sets and it still howls. Nature of the beast.

Fergie

lemme get this straight:

4.56 gears on an d35?
plannin on 35's on the d35?

:conceited :scared:

lemme guess - gettin a locker too?

here is my guess...
the installer didn't press the outer pinion bearing cup all the way into the housing or it had a small piece of debris during setup. as you drove the jeep in reverse a few times and let off the gas when going forward created enough pressure to seat the outer pinion bearing. this loosened the preload and while under acceleration the noise was gone. but when you let off the gas the pinion was allowed to walk into the ring gear a bit and change the contact profile.
with the jeep in neutral, can you wiggle the pinion side to side? is the seal leaking at all?

for those that are scheptical of Yukon gears. don't be. in my book the only gear to be concerned with is genuine gear. as an installer, that is the only brand that I will not warranty. anything that offers a lifetime warranty I seldom trust, unless its the likes of craftsman or snap-on...
a gearset is only as good as the installer. thats not to say the a bad set gets past QA on occasion. but I have found it no more common in one gear over another, asside of genuwhine...

Back