• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Largest spare in factory location 97+

jkmhb

NAXJA Forum User
I've read that a 31" will fit in the factory inside location on '96 and earlier w/o the speaker bar. Any idea what the largest spare that will fit a '97 and later with the speaker bar? I know a 31" won't - how about a 29" or 30"?

jkmhb said:
I've read that a 31" will fit in the factory inside location on '96 and earlier w/o the speaker bar. Any idea what the largest spare that will fit a '97 and later with the speaker bar? I know a 31" won't - how about a 29" or 30"?

31" will fit...

I have a 95 cherokee with a 235-75-15 (29") tire in the stock location. I just don't see a 31" tire fitting in any stock cherokee. I can just close the rear hatch and the tire is rubbing. I would say 28"-29" max.

I know a 31" won't fit on mine. I tried it and there was no way it would clear the speaker bar. Hatch clearance seems to be an issue also. Mine's a 2 door, but I don't think it has any more or less space in that area than a 4 door.

Anyone try a 29 or 30?

i have a 31 in my 99 with speaker bar. i just used the bolt direct through the lug hole and the big wingnut. it would not work through the center of the tire.

If you remove the mount the factory spare sits on, you can fit a 31 under the speaker bar. Ratchet strap the spare to the original bracket behind the tire.

I couldn't get it to fit even without any bolt throught the spare (could there be that much difference in diameter of 31"s?).

But, I'll try removing the bracket - excellent idea! What type of rachet strap did you use - if you have a pic that would be great.

Ramsey said:
i have a 31 in my 99 with speaker bar. i just used the bolt direct through the lug hole and the big wingnut. it would not work through the center of the tire.

Thats how it will work :) Forgot to say that..

jkmhb said:
I know a 31" won't fit on mine. I tried it and there was no way it would clear the speaker bar. Hatch clearance seems to be an issue also. Mine's a 2 door, but I don't think it has any more or less space in that area than a 4 door.
My carrier, mount and related parts are all gone now, replaced by a storage box but I once trial-fitted a 30" BFG in mine and it fit with enough room that I *might* even be able to get a 31 in there. It does require finagling the J-hook around, and I am pretty sure I was able to get it in there with the stock mount on. There are two holes in the J-hook holder, so you might need to try the other one as well as rotate the tire around a bit to get the hole lined up.

Edit: Forgot to add that is with the factory soundbar in back

i can fit a 32 BFG AT laying down in the cargo, ratchet strapped down

RyanSullivan said:
i can fit a 32 BFG AT laying down in the cargo, ratchet strapped down
Me too, but the title says "in factory location"
happyfinger.gif

jeepguy97 said:
I can only fit up to a 30" in my '97. I tried a 31" and it rubbed the liftgate and I couldn't get it to close.
You must have missed the pic Ronbo posted. It'll fit.

Just got a 31x10.5x15 BFG MT to fit. All I need is my ratchet strap and I'm set. I'm sorry I lied about getting an MTR, but this BFG mounted on a black steelie was brand new and free!

ok i have a soundbar and i have a 32x11.5 mtr warn down. and im planning on putting a 3.75" BS rim on it just like the rims i have on now.
my question is similer to everyone elses. except my question is not with just the size of the tire but what brand, width, and BS rim too.

i just want to know if it would fit in the factory location at all? if not im just going to hope i can lay it down till i can get a bumper tire carrier.

just seeing if anyone has tryed this yet.

Back