• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

time for tires....cooper?

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
I know there has been countless threads abouot tires but I searched and didn't find anything on these. Here's what I'm looking at: Cooper Discoverer LT and Dicoverer ST, Bridgestone Dueler AT, and BFG All Terrains. I'll be getting them in 30x9.50.

These are for a DD that only sees the trails when I have the money to fix it when things go bad so probably once a month. It will be seeing a lot of snow going up to New Hampshire every weekend.

I already know how well the BFG's hold up and I've read pretty good things about the Bridgestone Duelers but have not heard anything about the Coopers which is what I'm curious about.

Thanks
Dean

The Cooper S/Ts are awsome. Had a set on a work truck and they worked well in snow and mud, never got to test em on rock. I always say you can't beat a BFG All-Terrian in the snow though.

You should also look at the Firestone Destination M/T tire. I just ordered a set of 30x9.5 for my XJ. I've seen good writeups on them and they are priced right along with the Coopers. The tread is similar to the Coopers but they have more tread over the shoulders. After I get mine mounted I'll give a first hand review on how they handle.

I like Dunlops Radial Rover RVXT. Good traction!! Check them out on tirerack.com You can also check out many other brands and read reviews. I would take most reviews with a grain of salt though.

I ran a set of the original Cooper Discoverers (same tread as the Discoverer LT, but in a P-rated sidewall) for many years. I swapped in used tires I bought from time to time so I lost track of how many miles I put on the Coopers but it had to be well over 100,000. They were thin when done, but still had legal tread. I'm in New England and I ran them all year. They were excellent on dry pavement, very good to excellent (for an A7T tire that's not a dedicated snow tire) in snow, and better than BFG A/T KOs in rain.

Plus ... they are made in America by an American-owned company.

:04of5: (Maybe 4-1/2 stars)

I had the bridgestone dular at's and they were great. i highly recomend them. even after doing some decent smoke shows i couldnt see any difference between the front and rear tires. and they are good in the snow too. i used them straight through winter here in northern VT. i was going through snow just above the bottom of my doors... granted it was powder but i though it was pretty good. definnatly consider them. i would buy another set if i didnt go offroad so much.

I have the Destination M/Ts. They are a great performing tire, but beware in the snow, when there is just a light dusting on the road they get real squirly. I love em in the mud, and in deep snow, but for mostly highway use, I recommend BFG or Cooper as the Firestones are rather fast wearing.

I have the cooper right now, and all I hav eto say is.. wow.. really really nice tires.. preforms well in the rain, dunno about the snow, but that's coming up soon... I've had em in mud, they did well.. I think that'd be the extent of it.. oh yeah, pretty smooth on the pavement for how they look.

jeepguy97 said:
I have the Destination M/Ts. They are a great performing tire, but beware in the snow, when there is just a light dusting on the road they get real squirly.

This is why I'm looking more at an agressive AT tire rather than an MT. As of right now I think I'm leaning towards the Discoverer LT. Any bad experiences out there?

I am kind of skeptical about the Bridgestones because my Firestones only lasted about 35K, and no,even though I'm 19 I dont race around corners and smoke the tires. I just thought if the coopers didn't get a good word that maybe I'd try the duelers.

thanks for the replies
Dean

My stepson has Cooper Discoverers on his Jeep (not here right now so I can't remember just what flavor). He likes them, and says they're good on snow. They're wearing well.

I was never all that impressed with the snow performance of the BFG AT's I had on my old 87. They weren't bad, just not great.

I ran a set of Coopers Discover AT's for a coule of winters here in west Michigan along the Lake Michigian shore line where we get lots of snow and I really liked them. Infact my BFG ATKO's are about done and the Coopers are probably going to replace them. BTW I put about 80,000 miles on that set.

Im looking at both the Cooper (as well as Cooper sidekicks), Goodyear Workhorse, and the Nokian Vativa. Looking for an all season AT that works good in the snow and also gives decent offroad.

Just got a set of Bridgetone Dueller AT Revos in 30x9.5x15.
The Revos are a different tread than the regular Dueller ATs. Also more $$. Stick like glue on dry and wet pavement. Looking forward to snow. One nice thing about the 30s, as opposed to P-metric sizes - you get a full 16/32" tread, instead of 13/16".

Do a tire comparison on tirerack.com. They don't have all of the makers, but it'll give you some ideas (or doubts as the case may be).

Just put on a set of Cooper Discoverer (what a mouthfull) AT's and really like them. They replaced Goodyear RS/T or something like that, anyway, really nice ride in the 235-75-15, 50K mile tread wear/road hazard warranty. Just beware when you go to to the 30-9.50 or truck rated tires, your ride quality will suffer due to the stiffer carcass. Best deal out there for the money !!

Okay, well sounds like all good things about these things, especially the milage they get. So, I think I'm gonna go with those coopers. Hopefully get em mounted when I go home for thanksgiving.

thanks for all the replies

Dean

I ran a set of Cooper Discoverer STT 30x9.50's. They performed very much the same as my previous BFG mud-terrians, perhaps even a little better in the snow. However they did seem to wear slightly faster, but at the cost I think they were still a worthwhile buy.
Tony

Dragon_Fly said:
Im looking at both the Cooper (as well as Cooper sidekicks), Goodyear Workhorse, and the Nokian Vativa. Looking for an all season AT that works good in the snow and also gives decent offroad.

DO NOT get the Workhorses. A set of these came on my Wrangler when I bought it. They are the worst tires I have ever seen. The compound is as hard as a rock, and they get no traction except on dry pavement, and even then its marginal. The sidewall said EXTRA GRIP, whoever printed that must have been on crack. :smoker:

Don't be afraid of Bridgestones. I have Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos and they are by far the best tire I've ever owned. They are smooth and quiet with excellent road manners and their wet traction is simply amazing. Not to mention the fact that for an a/t they do very well offroad. They also have a 50K mile warranty and last at least that long if you take care of them. I only have 10K on mine but they still look brand new. I hear that they do very well in the snow, but we don't get much of the white stuff here in Atlanta. I got the buy three get one free deal so the price wasn't too bad.

I've been putting off getting tires for about 2 months now, but this thread got my attention...

Seems that the coopers are considered to be pretty great tires for the price. I have a question though... I'd be deciding between the Discoverer ATs or the LTs, anyone have specific info on which would be better on a DD in the northeast? Also, what is the actual ply difference between these two?

Back