• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BIG BEAR RUN - DEC 11th @ 8:30 am

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Gang,

Need some help here. I have several poeple interested in going up on Dec 11th. I want/need to post the full run details today or tomorrow.

Here is what I need:

trails to run and someone to lead them - I have had a couple of poeple from other groups say they maybe able to lead, but no one has stepped up. I would lead if I knew where I was going.

As for trails, I don't care if we run Holcomb Creek again, I just want to go.

And finally, how many of you will be there? I want to meet at Big Bear Dicsovery Center between 8:00 & 8:30 am, departing promptly at 8:30 am on Saturday, Dec. 11th.

Thanks,

Robert

:rattle: Is anybody there? Need soem help on trails, please....

Well, no help on trails, but the run is on!

Since the only trails I know is Holcomb Creek, that is what I am running. There is another group of Jeepers going up the same day. Not sure what they are running, but I have been told we can join them. But, I would rather have our own group run. Depends on the number of rigs. I have about 4 confrimed right now.

Here are the run details:

This is an informal (not NAXJA supported) run.

Required Equipment:
Solid recovery points front and rear (tow hooks, shackles/d-rings, receivers), first aid kit, fire extinguisher, snatch strap (no chains, no strap with metal hooks), spare tire and all necessary hardware.

Meeting Place:
Big Bear Discovery Center (http://www.bigbear.info/), 8:00 AM

Planned trails for Saturday:
Holcomb Creek (3N93) running West to East, enter Holcomb via alternate route 2N06X.

MAYBE RUN:

John Bull (3N10) running East to West, bypass (via 3N16) available for those who choose not to run it.

CB Channel:
Primary, 4; alternate, 14

Trail Leader, Saturday:
Robert Prater (rpratexj) - Inless someone else wants to lead.

Notes:
You may to want to get a Forest Adventure Pass, otherwise you may risk getting a ticket. You can buy them in most sporting goods stores or directly from the Big Bear Discovery center, their website is http://www.bigbear.info/

I had a guy from onther list send me this info on other trails:

"Have you run Lower Larga Flats (2N06X) before? Unless the "wall" obstacle has mellowed considerably, you will be strapping the unlocked/stockers across it (ask Rodney about this) :)

Another option would be Gold Mountain (3N69), it has an alternate route about the summit (3N69A) which has some difficulty in it. I generally start out all my "newbie" runs on GM - if you have difficulty there you won't like John Bull, Dishpan or any of the others.

From GM you can easily access John Bull (3N10) if you go West on 3N16, or shoot across to 3N93 (Holcolmb Creek). You can also go East on 3N16, make a left on 3N61 (Jacoby Canyon) and head North - Jacoby is a very easy trail which leads to the highway. Make a right on the highway, go back east ("towards" Big Bear), you can then make a left into the area which leads to 3N03A (Horsethief Flats). Another good fairly easy trail, but off camber and steep on one side. Wouldn't recommend it without at least a rear lock"

Any input on these trails?

Robert

I'm still in for the 11th.

And you don't need an Adventure Pass, unless you're camping or parked. As long as you're moving, you can't get a ticket. And if you do get a ticket, it is only $5, which is the price of a one-day pass. I've parked my Jeep many times while mountain biking in the Cleveland National Forest, and I've only received one ticket.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/passes/pass-adventure.shtml

Don't ask Dan Turner what he thinks of the Adventure Pass. :D

Last edited:
Thanks Johnny.

You want to meet the gas station off of the 91 again? We can meet around 6:15 am.

Seqouia, Sintax, Danny, Michael - you guys going to join us again?

Thanks,

Robert

I am going to try and make this run. I know all the trails up in that area and do not have a problem leading any of them if needed. I am going to try and get a couple of other friends in their jeeps as well to make this run. By the way...for the guys that live up in the hi derest...there is another way to head up to the Big Bear area via Ord and White Mountain. Not a hard trail but just a little different than going the paved routes. Hope this helps...Later...Clint

Hope to see you there Clint.

I have 4 people confirmed for the run. It would be great to meet other XJer's.

Hope you can make it. Like I said,it is great meeting others from the group.

Hope to see you there.....

RP

We have an XJ, a KJ, and a Toyota...You guys dont care what I bring out to the trail right? They are all capable of doing any trail in Big Bear. I would like to bring the KJ...It is setup with a winch and air to help folks out if needed. Maybe we could do a mixed run??? I have some XJ and KJ buddies that are set up and love the Big Bear area. Later...Clint

This run is open to any capable/prepared vehicle. See minimum requirements aerlier in the post.

Bring 'em all - let other's drive.....Ha, Ha, :laugh3:

Robert I'm hoping to make this run. Any talk of running Gold Mountain?

I have heard that we can run GM over to Holcomb. I am up for anything. But like I have been saying, I don't know the trails. If you or someone else knows GM, let's do it.

You want to meet at the gas station off of the 91 again? Say, 6:15 - leave at 6:30 to be at Discovery Center around 8:00 am?

Robert

We'll see what happens. I may go up the night before.

OK, I just talked to my buddy Wally with the Camo Edition KJ and he is also up for this run. We both know Big bear trails very well and are able to lead any of these trails if that helps out. I will be coming up the back way to Big Bear from the hi desert. maybe we could all meet at the discovery center or something like that. Let's just make a time to meet and a location if the DC is not good for everyone. Again...I have no problem leading any of the trails if you guys like. Wally and I both have ham radio as well as CBs. I also have a great air compressor if needed. We have gone on runs with some of the other XJ guys and it has alwasy been a blast. Some of the XJ guys have also made runs with our club as well. Hope this helps. later...Clint

Awesome! The plan is to meet at the discovery center at 8:00 AM, leave for the trail at 8:30. CB channel 4 is primary.

Only trail mentioned was Holcomb Creek Possibly John Bull. Gold Mountain has been asked about.

I figure we can adjust the run as people show up at the DC.

Thanks.

Back