• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody know...

90 xj

NAXJA Forum User
does anybody know what the tps specs are for a 1990 4.0 i think i have mine set too high. alldata said the operating range is from 1 to 5 but diddnt give a set idle or a wide open throttle spec
jake

The TPS setting is done not by a specific voltage setting, but by a percentage of the input voltage, which can vary from one vehicle to the other. For this test you should use a high-impedance voltmeter (digital multimeter, FET VOM or VTVM if you're old enough to know what that is).

I finally got smart and wrote it down in text form, so I can paste it in to posts like this:

For an 87-90 4.0:

Test is done with throttle closed, connectors connected. Insert probes through back of connectors to make readings.

For manual connect + probe to terminal A, and - to B. Take a reading, which should be in vicinity of 5 volts but probably lower. Note the reading well. Now move the positive probe to terminal C. The reading should be 16 percent of the previous reading.

For Automatic, use the square, 4-terminal plug. Connect probe + to terminal A, and - to D. Note reading, which should be in vicinity of 5 volts. Now move probe + to terminal B. This reading should be 82 % of the first.

Matthew Currie said:
For this test you should use a high-impedance voltmeter (digital multimeter, FET VOM or VTVM if you're old enough to know what that is).

Damn, yer old! I didn't think anyone else around even knew what a VTVM was!

If you want me to prove it, I'll PM ya - I think I might even have one in "cold storage" somewhere that I built years ago...

5-90

Who here remembers how to grid leak bias a tetrode?

Back