• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare Tire/Gas can receiver mounting

4ESTJP

NAXJA Forum User
We are leaving for Moab on Friday. I am going to make a spare tire and gas can holder that fits into my towing receiver. The way I was planning on making it would not give me access to the rear hatch without removing the hitch. I would like to have it swing open, but I don't know how to make a good pivot and lock. Has anyone made something similar?

I am looking to have somebody fab me something similar for a spare tire mount. I was thinking like a 45' anglefor liek 8 inches out of the reciever, then a swing away tire mount. I can't weld, so my options are limited to others ability.

Its going to rattle and shake like crazy,theres really no way to "tighten down a receiver and the usually fit pretty slopppy!

I made one in a couple of hours before I took a wheeling trip to Colorado. Didn't have much time to work on it, other wise I would have made it swing out, but here is what I threw together.

100_0393.jpg

100_0396.jpg

100_0469.jpg

i liked the idea of a hitch-mounted spare until i ran Old Florida Rd with a guy who had one... he bashed it hard coming down every ledge... i would make it take a sharp 45 deg turn up immediately out of the receiver to act as its own skid and maybe even plate it there too... you could make it a "swing DOWN" with a square joint and a few hitch pins.. pull one pin and use the second as a pivot.. i have a bicycle carrier like that...

p10055.JPG

for now mine must reside on the roof..

ive got a drawing of one i did with autocad real quick.....anybody know how to post pictures on here? do i have to host them somewhere? id like to post this to give some ideas maybe.

The trouble with receiver hitch mounted accessories is they rattle and clunk big time. Not trying to pick on GottaBeJeep, but he has posted pics of the best example of this. See the ratchet strap going from the top of the tire to the roof rack? This is so it doesn't rattle and clunk. Not a big deal if your looking for something quick or temporary but, nothing I would do permanently.

Exactly. The way mine mounts stopped the carrier from rattling side to side, but it would still rattle front and back, which is the reason for the strap. The rattling was pretty minute from my design, but it was still there, and I couldn't take it for 8 hours straight on a trip. The other bad thing is the departure angle. Of course my wife's jeep sits high enough that it didn't get in the way on the trails I was on, but anything more extreme, or on a smaller jeep would have been hanging up.

Back