• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with gears

midnightrunxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok im working with a 89' comanche 4.0 4x4auto. My front axle is crap(u-joints busted,rusted,leaking). so i am trying to switch it with one off of my parts jeep(86 2.8) I have just come to the realization that my replacement axle has 4.10 gears in it. Ok thats cool. Im running a 6" lift and 32's. I need to regear the rear anyways. I know my comanche rear axle now is a 35-c with 3.55. Can i just pull the entire assembly out of the rear of my parts jeep and use that(4.10's)? I know its a 35 but im not sure if its a clip or not? If so is there a write up on this anywhere. I tried search but everyone was talkin $500 of tools to do this. I hope it can be done for cheaper than that.

Thanks

The C-designation on the D35C only means custom, it doesn't mean that you have a c-clip type axle. I don't believe they put the C-clips in until 90-91 but I may be wrong. Just pull your cover off and I bet you'll find that you don't have C-clips. Either way the axles should interchange without any trouble.

Im not looking to switch the entire axle. I just want to switch from 3.55 to 4.10 so my back ratio will match the front. Looking for a write up or info on this. Thanks again

My bad i made it sound like I wanted to whitch the whole axle. I just want to switch the gears.

Last edited:
Word of advice - it may be noisy. Read that as noisy, after putting used gears that have broken in on another vehicle. Been there, done that, will be buying new gears anyday now.

If both are D35's - you should swap the entire axle if you don't have any experience "setting up" gears.

Do you have any reason to not swap the entire axle?

bburge

You CANNOT just pull the carrier out of one axle and put it in another.
You WILL have to reset the pinion depth, backlash, preload, etc.
Basically, you need to reset the gears.
Gears have to be 'set up' for each axle, as no two tolerances are the same.
Just use the 4.10 rear and sell the others.
In a Commanche, unless you are going SOA, you will need to weld on new perches and maybe shock mounts.
HTH.

...they're both MJs? Swap the whole axle over; there's no need to set up the gears again that way.

thats the problem. The 4.10's are out of a cherokee. I dont want to swap axle because my mj axle has new brakes,seals,and bearings. It has a soa and has been trussed. and no the pearches are not the same width on the cherokee and comanche. So basically i have to take it to a shop and pay $$ to have it set up. I hate the idea of having to pay some one to set up gears after not ever taking it to a shop before. I already repaired it after it was totaled, converted from 2wd to 4wd, lifted it 6" and redid the interior with out no shop help. so this sucks. There is no home brew set up for this?

You have two ways to do this.

Regear with the used 4.10s and buy the tools needed and learn as you go. Yo can do this yourself, but it takes a lot of patience and down time. $500 is kinda on the high side for the tool necessary. I would say the most expensive tool would be a good press and maybe a case spreader if required to have for a D35. Every thig else would cost you about $100-150 depending on quality.

Second, you can just swap the axles, like mentioned. Trussing and repositioning perches is a ton easier than trying to regear especially with used gears. You can spend about the same amount of money on a good welder and cut tools. Then pratice with the welder and have good tools to fabricate other stuff on you MJ.

My vote is for the second route, speaking from expierience with used gears. They are very difficult to setup with a good pattern and even if you get lucky, They will most likely be noisey, and noisey gears really sucks! The D35 doesn't have much going for it anyway, you really want noisy gears to.

Look at it this way - you did all the work yourself on it, so you're going to spend a couple hundred to have a shop install gears for you. In the long run that's a pretty good investment. Chuck's second option sounds like a good one though. The MJ is already SOA, so you need to weld new spring perches on the XJ axle and freshen it up, swap the brakes over, and be done with it.

I think there was a good bit of confusion in the early posts as to what you wanted to do. I was under the impression that you had one of each (MJ and XJ) axle, then by the second time I posted I thought they were both SUA MJ axles...etc.

I think I would go with the 2nd as well The gears are already set up and broke in unless you we're going to add a detroit or something I'd swap all the external stuff besides with a welder and tourch that opens up lots of future improvements.

Back