• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggestions on running 38" or bigger...

ArcticXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got f/r 60's (high pinions with front Kingpin) that im in the process of building. My xj currently sits at about 10/11" of lift, longarm'd. The 35's im running now tuck well, but are much smaller than what i could be running. However, anything bigger will grenade the locked stock axles. The fenders are trimmed back plenty. I can clear 37's fine as is, and was planning on going up another 2" once the 60's are under there (maybe 3 months total) and trying to do at least 38's, if not 40's.

So who all is running a setup with tires/axles of this variety, and what can you tell me as far as what i might need to look out for, or what youve encountered? Thanks in advance everyone for helping this forum newbie out!

Last edited:
Oh and by the way, does anyone have any tips on methods to push the rear axle back a few inches, for more wheel base and better "front of the rear fender well" tire clearance? Ive looked at ORD's "zero-rate" leaf with the 1.5" w.b. increase, but was wondering if anyone else has ideas...

you don't need to worry about adding more lift.

you need to get rid of some.

10-11" with 35's is silly.

adding two more???????????

I'm at 7" with 37's.

You can easily run 38's with 7-8.

Like was said go lower not longer. the Xj has a nice WB already. Just break out the sawz-all and those 38's will fit.

I'll be running 37's w/7-8" of lift.

On another note why do you need larger than a 38? To me 37's are the ideal size. anything larger just makes the trail too easy. Where is the challenge.

I agree with the above. I'm running 37's on a little over 6" and it is very stable. If you want to stretch the wheel base, you can flip the rear springs to get about 5.5" longer wheel base, but you will need to set up a traction bar, because the axle wrap after adding 60's and 38+ will kill the leaf packs, especially if they are flipped. The XJ does have a great long wheel base platform, but with full width D60's and 38+ tires, it will be much more capable with a longer wheel base to even out the extra height/width of the tires/axles.

On our project XJ with 38s and 5.5" lift we flipped the rear springs in order to not have to cut the front of the rear wheelwells.

Beezil said:
you don't need to worry about adding more lift.

you need to get rid of some.

10-11" with 35's is silly.

adding two more???????????

I'm at 7" with 37's.

You can easily run 38's with 7-8.

yeah, but isn't ur XJ kinda like a buggy now

9" w/38.5's and lot's o' cutting.
1078841861_P1010028.jpg

1050599703_PA090016.jpg

1050588202_FAMILY1.jpg

Just echoing the rest: 10-11" is too much, even for 38's. I'm at about 9-10" right now with 39.5 Iroks. Hopefully it'll settle (leaves f/r) down to around 8-9. I also lengthened my rear 8.5" and the front 1".

Jay

a question as to flipping ther springs arent the eyes that go into the shackles smaller the the ones that go into the frame i would love to do this now so i can have a drive line built also i take it the gas tank has to come out. how does this work.

Doesn't matter, the width of the bushings at both ends are the same, so they will still work. Shoot pair8hd a pm for pictures of his project. He just flipped his springs and relocated the gas tank up, and worked out great.

BrettM said:
please tell me these guys flipping the springs are running traction bars....

That's why I mentioned needing a traction bar in my first post.
:cheers:

Fullsizexj said:
make sure you have 35 spline axle shafts in them 60's

are you really gona need 35 spline shafts for 38.5s or 39.5s? i mean i already got them but i figured you could run them in there but nothing tooooo radical. am i correct?

MuddinXJ said:
are you really gona need 35 spline shafts for 38.5s or 39.5s? i mean i already got them but i figured you could run them in there but nothing tooooo radical. am i correct?
35 splines would of course be nice, but IMO not totally necessary with 38.5s. I know a guy who had a 30 spline 60 under his YJ with 38.5x14.50r15s, he beat the crap outta that thing with a HO 4.0/T18/Atlas and went through dozens of D44 front shafts, and through Little Sluice several times as well as plenty of other tough stuff..... never broke a 30 spline 60 shaft.

Back