• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

posi in 2wd not 4wd?

jamboree

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 88xj with the dana 35 in the rear. When I'm in 2wheel drive the rear end is posi on road and off. as soon as I switch into 4 wheel drive only one tire spins in the rear. Is there any way to keep the rear posi in 4wd? Is the rear even supposed to be posi in 2wd? I know you can break limited slip rear so its always posi it happened in my camaro when i ran slicks.

first off before you get flamed for improper terminology.. the "posi" is a General Motors trade name.. but most people refer to a limited slip as a "posi" no big deal.... i dont think you understand how a limited-slip works... unless you have a selectable locker there is no way to turn it "on or off" .. how have you determined that you have a LSD in the rear? the ole "dirt road and stomp the gas" method? highly unreliable.... it is posible that your LSD may be worn out and not giving full clamping pressure when you really put torqu eto it which would explain why it doesnt "work " in 4wd.. but other than that the act of shifting has nothing at all to do with the operation of a normal LSD (called a "trac-loc" by Jeep..)

im big on gm so thats where i got the posi term, i did the spin test and it is a limited slip rear. on the street powerbraking it and around corners both wheels spin but in the dirt when stuck only one spins so im guessing its the good ol limited once u lose traction all torque goes to the lost traction wheel well that sucks guess i gotta go locker now

jamboree said:
im big on gm so thats where i got the posi term, i did the spin test and it is a limited slip rear. on the street powerbraking it and around corners both wheels spin but in the dirt when stuck only one spins so im guessing its the good ol limited once u lose traction all torque goes to the lost traction wheel well that sucks guess i gotta go locker now
You do realize, I hope, that a Jeep limited slip uses clutches. I'm sure you have a lot of fun power-braking and burning up poiunds of rubber, but you probably also toasted the clutches in your diff.

Put a locker in the Dana 35 and do those tricks, and you'll do more than just wear out the clutches.

Back