• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tcase probs

ogg

NAXJA Forum User
have a 91 xj sport with np231 tcasethat wont go into 4lo
4hi works
feels like the linkage is workin properly cause leaver will go into 4lo
but when in 4lo it is like it is still in neutral.
i get nothin....no grinding or any of those ugly noises that make ur heart drop(lol)
anyway any help would be greatlly appreacieated
thanks
ogg

i'm still saying check the linkages... just b/c the lever pulls all the way back doesn't mean there's enough tension to move the t-case into 4lo

This will happen if the linkage is out of adjustment, so I'd check that first, especially if the lever handle isn't parallel with the floor when in 2-HI. If you crawl underneath, and look at the linkage, you'll see that there's a rod with a clamping nut on it. The procedure for adjusting is very simple. First, shift the lever into 4-Low. Then get under and loosen the nut, lubing if necessary to make the collar move on the rod, and make sure, by pushing on it, that the lever on the transfer case itself is all the way into 4-low. Then tighten the nut again.

jeepinxj05 said:
Try shiftin it while rollin in neutral. Mines kinda touchy and it's a '91 Laredo.

shifting to 4LO will give a real bad noise if you are moving at all, and possibly damage something 'spensive.. no different than shifting gears in a 5spd with no clutch and no "finesse".. ALWAYS STOP to shift into and out of low range.. i'm thinkin its your linkage as well...

Back