• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pullin the Transfer Case

TheManch

NAXJA Forum User
This morning i started pulling my np231 (so i can put ina new one) but was unsuccessful. I unbolted everything and had the transmission nd t-case sitting on jacks. I figured if i got this far i could do the rest, dead wrong. I couldn't access all of the bolts, especially on the passenger side. Is it okay to lower the transmission and t-case ot access those bolts? How far down is to much? I am considering getting this done at a garage but would really love to do it myself. I tried going in through the top, underneath the center console but after cracking my windshield and realizing that i was about 6 inches away from where i needed to be i stopped. For some reason after a day of unsuccessful wrenching i have an odd calm and satisfied feeling, i just about have a heart attack when something actually goes my way!!! But anyway any help would be much appreciated. I can't wait to get this done, having an XJ without 4wd is like having a car with no wheels. Thanks again....

Mike

p.s. i searched but couldn't find exactly what i was looking for.

A set of extensions and universal swivels helps immensely. It is very do-able with the right tools. Yes you can lower it a few inches, just be careful you don't shove the fan into the radiator. Don't force anything.

How'd you crack the windshield while working on the t-case?

I just did this in my 86xj with np207. I measured the distance from the transmission to the floor and cut a 2x4 two inches less. I cut a notch in the top of the 2x4 so it would nest on the bottom of the transmission, and then lowered the transmission onto the 2x4. It worked great. The whole transmission/transfer case would wollow a little bit while supported on the 2x4, allowing good acces to all of the TC bolts. I also made a wood cradle to hold the TC, a home transmission jack so to speak. The wood cradle fit on top of my floor jack for manuevering the TC in and out of position.

Back