• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dielectric grease ?????

gixer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I need to clean mine up also as I don’t have any reverse lights. I have been looking at write-ups on this and they say to use dielectric grease to grease the switch back up. I don’t know much about this stuff except that it helps electrical contacts. Does it conduct electricity? If so do you have to watch how much you use in the switch so you cont short out the contacts? Or is it that it just does not interfere with electrical contacts and dose not conduct electricity?
Thanks for any enlightenment on how this stuff works.

It does not conduct electricity. What it does is to seal around the contact points of the metal so they don't get wet or corrode. The grease actually squeezes out from the metal contact points. It doesn't help if the contacts are already corroded. You need to clean the contacts before using it.

Ok it looks like my post got messed up.
I am going to clean my NSS so if I use the dielectric greast in there I dont have to worry then.????

No, i just did my g/f's the other night, pull it apart and be carefull b/c there are two contacts that might fall out as they are spring loaded....if not...then that is your problem, mine ended up being stuck in there so it wasnt making contact. Anyways, just pull it apart over a bench so u dont lose any parts...get some kind of contact cleaner...we used brake cleaner...clean out all the old grease and gunk that may be in there and then we used White Lithium greese to evenly coat the entire inside of the switch...dielectric is just as good if not the same. Cake job...hardest part is finding the d*mn zip ties that held the wires up in the engine compartment lol. Good luck.

Back