• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny trouble

honda12

NAXJA Forum User
while driving my 88 xj the tranny will act almost like its shifting in and out of overdrive a jerking sensation and the rpms rise and fall about 200 rpms. the reason i feel its not acually shifting is because if i manually shift from d to 3 is the rpm difference between d and 3 is more like 500 to 600 rpms. so could it be slipping? like i said its more like jerking not a steady rise in rpm like a slipping tranny would maybe a stuck solinoid in the valve body!

´ I was having trouble with my tranny. A change of Dexron, helped. A TPS adjustment helped some more. Found the TPS had oxidation (or something) in the connector. Cleaning the connector helped even more. Cleaned my grounds, especially the one near the oil dipstick brace (TCU ground) and the one on the drivers side firewall, near the back of the motor. Tranny works much better.
Replaced my O2 sensor, what has that got to do with the tranny? It usually starts messing up at a round 2000 RPM, in a pretty narrow band, just when your tranny is doing much of it´s shifting (near peak torque). Easy to confuse the shifts, with a flat spot in the motor.

Sounds like Torque Converter Clutch engaging and disegaging. I would start with 8mud's suggestions.

Bob

Back