• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ tie rod to tie rod length?

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
Bought a complete tie rod assembly from the dealer and when together it quite a bit longer than my XJ's. I'm doing the knuckle conversion soon, so if it really longer I guess thats cool, but just checking to see if the parts guy scewed up. Anyone know the total length?
Thanks, Angus

The stock WJ tie rod length is much longer than the XJ is. Even with the WJ knuckles on the XJ d30 the stock WJ tie rod will not work.

hinkley

ECKSJAY said:
Probably would have been better off with Tera's high-clearance knuckle conversion...

??!?!!

WJ gives true cross over steering, massive brakes, potential larger bolt pattern and hubs.

The Tera knuckle seems to me to be waste of money.

sent you a pm on the tie rod/drag link

cherokeekid said:
WJ gives true cross over steering, massive brakes, potential larger bolt pattern and hubs.

How do you figure the potential for a larger bolt pattern and hubs? The only way to get the 5 on 5.5" pattern and lockable hubs on the WJ setup is to do the Warn hub conversion. So the stock D30 stuff has the same potential. The stock WJ pattern is 5 on 5" and has the unibearing style hub like the stock XJ one.

To do the conversion you typically use the 00 and up XJ/TJ hubs for 5 on 4.5 or the Warn conversion for 5 on 5.5.

HTH,
Mike L.

Last edited:
ECKSJAY said:
Which ones then? Now you've got *my* attention...

You beat me to it. I was going to ask the same thing. Which hubs do you use? I assume you use the 86 CJ rotors with the WJ knuckles, calipers and whatever hubs you are speaking of. Please enlighten us.

-Mike L.

I think we have a confusion on terms. I read it as larger bolt pattern and larger hub unit bearings, not lockout hubs. I am only running 31's so the stock XJ/TJ unitbearing will be fine. I had considered the Milemarker/Warn 4.5 lockout conversion but it is too expensive for the potential benifit on my rig. I am using the WJ parts for the improved brakes and better linkage angles. Considering I have a 2000 with a 4" lift, the HP30 that I'm modifying and then swaping is also a good idea.

Angus

But whjat hub do you use to get the 5x5.5" pattern out of the WJ brake conversion? Isn't the stock WJ pattern 5x5"?

cherokeekid said:
If you know what hubs to use you can get 5x5.5 outta a WJ conversion

What bout this one then? From the way your posts read you are indicating you can do this without the Warn conversion kit. Why don't you explain more on this one then?

-Mike L.

cherokeekid said:
because I enjoy the suspence?

I'll go back to my shop now :laugh3:

Is there really a way to get the 5on 5.5 w/o having to get the Warn conversion when doing the WJ conversion? Stop enjoying the suspence and share with us.

ECKSJAY said:
That's the Internet for you!

:kissyou:

I love how the WJ stock pattern is 5x5 and he says you can make it 5x5.5 by using a different hub but won't share what hub needs to be used. Afterall this is XJ tech right? Oh well. Thx anyway.

Last edited:
I think you should've done the ZJ tierod assembly/conversion. This write-up is for the TJ but it is the same as the XJ. Click Here

Although, now I'm confused. I thought this thread was a tierod installation/length guestion and it has turned into hubs and bolt patterns..... :wierd:

Last edited:
I got jumped when I first posted it, I guess the question would really be; who here needs to convert a D30 to 5x5.5?

I'm doing it but for kinda stupid reasons (I got a set of TR beadlocks cheap) and I'm not ready to step up to a D60.

I'm not done yet and I would really like to have the entire thing done and rolling before I go throwing info out. I only mentioned it as one of the additional benefits to the entire conversion which isn't what this thread is about, if you have questions feel free to shoot me a PM or an E-mail [email protected].

Back