• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carb'ed vs. FI cams and cam selection question

NCSUcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
As i have been shopping round for a stroker cam, I have seen several grinds that are labeled for fuel injection, for non fuel injection, and non specific ones as well.

What is the difference, if any, of a FI cam to a carb'ed engine cam?

And a secondary question related to this- How severe is the loss of power when operating outside of the power band for the cam?
I am trying to decide between an idle to 4000rpm cam or a 1500 to 4800 rpm cam. It will be going in a trail rig that will very rarely see rpms over 4k, but I’m not going to be riding the trails at 900 rpm either. I am leaning to the idle up cam, but I don’t want it to completely loose its ass if I have to get on it.

I'd have to look up the differences between an FI cam and a Carb cam, so we'll leave that aside for the moment - I'll let you know once I know.

The RPM range listed is considered to be where the cam is "most efficient" - changing the timing of valve events or the amount of valve lift can change where the cam makes its best power.

Of course, the performance market seems to be geared toward the production of horsepower, although most cam grinders will give torque ranges - and the low numbers are almost always "peak torque" ranges, especially on truck cams.

Before you select a cam, it is a good idea to spend a little time on the phone with the Tech department and find out how their cam was tested - with especial attention to inlet/exhaust manifolds used, any head mods, fuel system changes (hardware or reprogramming) and anything else that might be important. NEVER ASSUME!

While I probably won't have the information in time for the first version, this is a chapter I plan on adding to my book once I have everything I need. I want to get a first edition out and show the companies I've been talking to that I'm trying to do something positive, and then I'll be able to get more and better information!

5-90

I'm running the Crane low rpm cam in my stoker. I can get the # if you need it. The power fall off at 4k rpms is significant, But even on the street I have no need for the high rpms. Most people wrap up the engines to get the power they need. With the stroker and the low rpm cam, the torque peak is right in the middle of the rpm band where you drive. It is really sweet. You don't have to wind it tight. You just step on the gas and it goes. Even with the automatic, it rarely downshifts on the hills here in Colorado, simply because it doesn't need to in order to hold the speed. I ran it with an AX-15 before the AW-4. The power is so constantly evident, I have a hard time keeping my foot out of it. It is simply a joy to drive.

The low rpm torque is really nice on the trail. I was doing the first obstacle on Cliffhanger and it kind of bogged down, so I just stepped on it and it climbed up and over. After I got over it, I realized I had it in 4HI instead of 4LOW.

Last edited:
Crane #750501 192/204 degree cam

I'm bored .060, decked .030, oversized valves, Sealed Power H802CP pistons, Clifford headers, Ford 24# injectors.

It will run on the cheapest gas I can buy.

Back