• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud Pop/Extreme Bogging when turning

CLb33fyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey fellas,
ive got a wierd problem with my 97/4.0/AW4. Sometimes, and its only occasionaly, when i turn to the right my jeep will bog really bad. It only has done it when turning to the right. the bogging will stay until i let up off the throttle or just mash it out of frustration, but there is a loud pop which is def engine related and sounds like its either coming from the intake or exhaust manifold. anyone else experiance anything like this? Thx in advance for the input.
Chris

Sounds like the popping might be coming from the PS pump, especially since the problem only occurs when you're steering. Check the mounts to make sure they're not broken and check the pulley for wobble in case of worn bearings.

yeah i will check it out, but i dont think its that. i mean i can give is 3/4 throttle and the jeep is barely moving, bucks a little, then the pop, then it will take off.

In that case, you may have a fuel delivery problem. Check the fuel pressure at the injector rail. It should be 49psi. If it's much less, you either have a clogged fuel filter or a failing fuel pump. Unfortunately the filter is part of the pump assembly so you have to remove the whole thing from the tank.

Yeah i knw, what a stupid design. and the sender/pump/filter is on the top of the tank on the 97+ models so i would have to drop the tank. i need to do it anyways as my sender is malfunctioning. but what i dont understand bout my problem is why it only does it when i turn right.

Chris
My 99/4.0 also boggs down, except its only when making left turns & their is no pop noise I just got my truck back from the body shop and plan on replaceing my fuel pump when i get a chance. did you ever resolve your issue and if so what was the solution?
Larry

no i havent resolved it yet. it hasnt done it in a while but im gonna try to get it to do it again this weeknd so i can try to troubleshoot it
chris

Back