• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best dash-mount GPS system

BennettXJ

NAXJA Forum User
For christmas this year, I'm going to ask for a GPS system in my XJ. I'm in the process of putting in an internal rollcage, and i want to mount it on the dash spreader bar. i want to keep my head unit, so no AVIC n1 or other monstrously exp h/u+nav+dvd system recomendations, please.
needs to have:
large display (bigger=better)
color (pref)
itd be a HUGE plus if it told where i was OFF road, as well as on road (im sure there is a term for this, im not sure what it is though). it doesnt have to be hand-held, in fact, a pure dash mount that is bigger/more options is preferred over a compact hand held unit.
i dont really need voice activation or prompts, but it might be nice.

ok, so whos got some ideas?? any sites i should check out to read up more on GPS systems? any to definately avoid? thanks for any insight guys.

-Bennett

www.geocaching.com

Check out the forums... they are mostly dual purpose units that can be used in the handheld, or vehicle mount modes.

You didn't mention any price range, so I'm assuming the sky is the limit...stay away from anything other than Garmin and Magellan (Garmin is my preference) anything else is just a toy (cobra, etc)

Garmin seems to have the lead in mapping, but magellan has a few models with sd memory cards depending on which model you choose which may be more beneficial for your application. be prepared to purchase additional map software to download as most units do not have topo maps loaded.

www.garmin.com
www.magellangps.com

I have experience with :
Garmin Etrex (yellow)
Garmin GPS V
Garmin Rino 130

Garmin 2610 is excellent. They can do on road or off road. I wouldnt recommend on Garmin 2620. They have hard drive would not handle the vibrate. Stick with 2610 with memory card such Compact Flash.

TomTom Go is very nice but doesn't offer the off road landscape IE. topology map.

I am in processing purchase either Garmin 2610 or TomTom Go this moment.

fasty said:
Garmin 2610 is excellent. They can do on road or off road. I wouldnt recommend on Garmin 2620. They have hard drive would not handle the vibrate. Stick with 2610 with memory card such Compact Flash.

TomTom Go is very nice but doesn't offer the off road landscape IE. topology map.

I am in processing purchase either Garmin 2610 or TomTom Go this moment.

2610??? Or do you mean the 2010? Make sure whatever you get it can run map software for the land, instead of just water.

Maybe the Garmin 176 or 276C

Rev

i have always liked Magellan... i have the SPortTrak Map model.. the accesroy package it came with had an ATV mount (which i adapted to screw to my dashboard) and a Mapsend TOPO CD.... i just saw the CD at bestbuy tonight for $104!! get something you can adapt to your PC and work with routes, regions and waypoints.. i highly recommend a handheld receiver so you can take it out of the rig with you...
this is what i have..

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=98

Yes, 2610 model gps. They can do on road and off road not just water.

http://gpsinformation.net/sp26xx/sp2610rev.html

They cost about 515 dollars after rebate. If you want offroad land using topology and you will need buy a topology software for the offroad map.

They can do seperate flash memory cards one for on road (city, highway, nearby bank,store,gas, and etc) and other card for land topology.

I will find name of topology software for the 2610.

Rev Den said:
2610??? Or do you mean the 2010? Make sure whatever you get it can run map software for the land, instead of just water.

Maybe the Garmin 176 or 276C

Rev

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, the Garmin Rhino series are nice. I have the Rhino 120 and it works very well for on and off road. Its monochrome screen, but it has a built in radio and is half the price. It seems like more people use FRMS than CBs lately. The radio has a position locator function that is very nice. Don’t know where your buddy went? Poll him with the radio and his position will show up on your screen. They go for about $250 around here, but probably cheaper in the lower 48. The Rhino 130 has a color screen and some other upgrades for a little bit more money. Both of them come with cables to connect to your computer for software upgrades, map updates, etc. The Map Source software is easy to use and their windshield mount has worked well in my XJ.

sidriptide said:
i have always liked Magellan... i have the SPortTrak Map model.. the accesroy package it came with had an ATV mount (which i adapted to screw to my dashboard) and a Mapsend TOPO CD.... i just saw the CD at bestbuy tonight for $104!! get something you can adapt to your PC and work with routes, regions and waypoints.. i highly recommend a handheld receiver so you can take it out of the rig with you...
this is what i have..

http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=98
I also like magellan however I am about to switch to Garmin for one and only one reason USB cords. I hate the serial cord that came with my magellan and they don't seem to want to get with the times. As far as dashtop models go I wouldn't buy one for the simple reason that what happens if you need it outside your vehicle? Maybe you already have a handheld job. But if you don't I would stay with something that you can carry with you and runs on batteries.
Check out the garmin 60cs. Its what I am going to buy next.

I have a couple of older 300mhz laptops. I am flipping the display on one and mounting it upside down on the inside of the roof so the display can be flipped down. I work with OEM GPS systems so I run a GPS hooked to the laptop via a serial port. I then run TOPO maps software. Many of the gps's can be connected to a laptop easily. I first started with an ancient Garmin GPS12. It is a dumb model, but all the smarts are in the laptop.

My biggest motivation is that I have gotten where my arms are too short and I can't read my gps or map with out a pair of glasses. This gives me a large screen and all the features you would ever want. I use a thumb ball on the console to run everything. You can put in your waypoints or just set it up as a moving map where you are always in the middle of the map.

I build computers, as in designing the pcb's and such. We have a single board computer a few inches across that runs a 3"x4" Color LCD with 640x480 resolution. It would be cool because the electronics are so small, but I just can't see the display well enough at that size, and that size is larger than most of the commercial units. What would be cool is if someone came out with a .5" thick tablet about 6"x8" that was a gps/map unit. Anybody heard of one?

The problem is that you can get more $$$ into a gps than I have in my rig.

I have a buddy that’s not into 4x4s, but does like computers. He is running a gps plugged into a laptop and running everything off of a small inverter. The laptop screen is considerably larger than anything I’ve ever seen on a gps and is easy to see while driving on the highway. It never occurred to me to try it in my Jeep. If you could find a way to mount/strap down the laptop I bet it would work well. This is assuming you have a laptop and a place to put it :D

what kind of price range are we talking here?

price i shouldve specified... way under 1000, preferably under or at least around $500. the 2610 is about the size and type that im looking for, but garmins site says like 1150$ retail! anyone know much about their new Quest? http://www.garmin.com/products/quest/# it seems pretty good, for a decent price.
other than that, the 2610 looks like a good deal, all that i want. is ebay a safe way to pick one up?

Last edited:
BennettXJ said:
price i shouldve specified... way under 1000, preferably under or at least around $500. the 2610 is about the size and type that im looking for, but garmins site says like 1150$ retail! anyone know much about their new Quest? http://www.garmin.com/products/quest/# it seems pretty good, for a decent price.
other than that, the 2610 looks like a good deal, all that i want. is ebay a safe way to pick one up?

I've bought stuff from Ebay, normal jeep stuff like hooks were OK, bought a YJ front bumper and the one they shipped me was for a CJ, would not fit, also got whacked with shipping costing more than the bumper. Depends on the seller totally....it is a crap shoot..

Garmin 2610 for $649.00

Garmin Quest for $479.00

I got burnt on my GPS V from ebay...seller claimed it was new,but it came without any registration code or unlock code for the Mapsource CD

be careful on Ebay if you choose that route, but you can usually find better deals via online retailers. (like the above link)

Last edited:
I´ll buy he Garmin 276c as soon as funds allow.

GPSMAP276C-300.jpg

RichP said:
For mounting options look at: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/mount.htm
I have this one for my cell setup: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/JP-74-97.pdf
For bigger mounts check here: http://www.ram-mount.com/index.htm
That police and emergency supply company has some also that attache to the passenger side of the hump.
Other option, get somebody to submit your XJ to 'Pimp my ride' and have it in your 'wish list' :D

I've used RAM mounts before for my Ham radio HT. It's worked very well. I've thought about Pimp my Ride, but I'm thinking more like OverHauled.... I can't get my wife to "set me up" ! Can you imagine a Chip Foos XJ????? We don't need no stinkin 15" monitors in the rear hatch..... But some SSB front rotors...maybe 13", nice beefy axles... 4:1 low range.....I think he'd take care of me!

garmin makes some really nice stuff, and if you hunt around enuf on the net, you can find the mounts with the suction cup back, you can mount it to your windshield or whatnot....the setup i saw the windshield mount in worked really well, it was within easy eyesight, and it kept it outta the way while headin up through the rocks and whatnot

Back