• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can I jack up one side at a time to replace rear leafs

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to replace my rear leafs on a lifted xj. Do I need to jack up both sides and the pumpkin, or can I just jack up one side, take off the wheel, replace the spring on that side, then lower that side and jack up the other side and do the same thing.

I am going to use wood boards flat instead of jack stands, and have limited number of boards (hence it will be easier to jack up one side at a time, if I can)

Last edited:
Yes, you can do one side at a time. No, a stack of wood is not a good jackstand.

Unfortunately, this won't work for ya. You need to have the entire rear of the jeep suspended by tall floor jacks at the frame rails just ahead of the front spring mount boxes.

If you jack up one side, there won't be equal tension. The hanging side will be pulling inward (toward the center of the jeep) just enough to put a bind on the spring mount bolts that you'll be trying to remove. Even if you were able to turn the bolts, you'd never get them pulled out of the bushings because the spring would be trying to twist in the forward mount box and at the rear shackle - thus, binding the bolt.

Also, remember that if you're removing the old springs for taller new ones, be sure you lift the jeep high enough to compensate for the taller stance when you're done - so that you don't have to lift it more just to get the axle back in place under the new springs.

Ya dig what I'm saying?

No offense Yella, but I just R&R'd mine one at a time with no hassles at all. I used the jack to lift or lower the axle as required, taking the tension off the bolts. Good point about the taller springs. BTDT. :)

Edit: I used one jackstand and one floor jack. Completely safe. :)

Last edited:
Ronbo,

I got the impression that this guy intended to leave one tire on the ground while lifting the other side to do the swap. If that's the case, it's not very safe. And it certainly seems to me that if he was able to get the old spring off this way, the new one would be really difficult to re-install because the new spring wouldn't align to the spring perch on the axle.

Hopefully he can just do it right by borrowing some jack stands from someone.

YELLAHEEP said:
Ronbo,

... the new one would be really difficult to re-install because the new spring wouldn't align to the spring perch on the axle ...

I just made this mistake two days ago. No biggie, today I jacked up both sides and pushed the axle into place (no I didn't drive it in the meantime).

So, definitely jack up both sides and most definitely get some six ton jackstands. I paid $35 for the pair at Sears and I'm sure there are cheaper places to go.

if you cant afford $50 for a good set of stands and jack then you probably shouldnt be lifted your xj.
stacks of wood are NOT safe...

thooogy said:
I just made this mistake two days ago. No biggie, today I jacked up both sides and pushed the axle into place (no I didn't drive it in the meantime).
Glad to hear you got it figured out...

Ronbo said:
Completely safe. :)

be careful what you tell people... this ranks right up there with "can i run with no swaybar and 6" of lift" sure you can do it.. IT IS NOT a good idea and those who tell you differently are not thinking the entire consequenses thruogh.... walmart has some super heavy jackstands for like $40.... invest in the proper tools... if you have a wheel on the ground with the weight of the vehicle on it, you will basically imobilize your axle and wont be able to move it without moving the entire vehicle as it rests....
take a few minues and think it thru...

sidriptide said:
be careful what you tell people... .... walmart has some super heavy jackstands for like $40.... invest in the proper tools... take a few minues and think it thru...

Did I not mention I used jack stands? You left that out when you quoted me.

Ronbo said:
Did I not mention I used jack stands? You left that out when you quoted me.

you said you used one.. and a jack.. that tells me you left one tire on the ground, jackstand under the frame on the side you were working on, and the jack under the axle.... my point was that even if you use a jackstand , using ONLY ONE is a bad idea and restricts the movement that you are allowed with the axle still supporting one side of the rig... i'm sure you did it as you said.. but i am saying its just better to suspend the entire rig.. i dont doudt that you did it.. and i'm sure i could do it too.. but when someone asks for advice on their idea and their idea is not safe in my opinion i will ALWAYS suggest the SAFEST method... and i dont ever tell anyone anything is totally safe... because i cannot vouch for their technical knowledge and level of common sense....

sidriptide said:
be careful what you tell people... this ranks right up there with "can i run with no swaybar and 6" of lift" sure you can do it.. IT IS NOT a good idea and those who tell you differently are not thinking the entire consequenses thruogh.... walmart has some super heavy jackstands for like $40.... invest in the proper tools... if you have a wheel on the ground with the weight of the vehicle on it, you will basically imobilize your axle and wont be able to move it without moving the entire vehicle as it rests....
take a few minues and think it thru...

I currently run ~6" of lift with no swaybar links as a daily driver - (I plan on swaybar links very soon) what are the consequences?

cdn89xj said:
I currently run ~6" of lift with no swaybar links as a daily driver - (I plan on swaybar links very soon) what are the consequences?
i knew this was going to happen.... do a search on no swaybars and read a lil.... another BAD IDEA that we as XJers do... (and yes i run with no swaybar so i can point the finger at myself as well.. lets not hijack this thread)

I just put add-a-leafs on mine last weekend. The easiest way I found was to use a hi-lift jack on the rear bumper and put the jack stands (notice there is an “s”) under the frame rails. That allowed me to take the tires/rims off and let the axle hang limp. I undid the u-blots and let the axle sit on the ground while I fooled around with the spring packs. It wasn’t bad at all. I know you are already done now, but food for though for next time. BTW if you don’t own a hi-lift jack yet, spend the $50 and get one. You will need the next time you try to change tires on your lifted XJ anyways. How much of a lift do you have? I have 6” of lift on the rear (but only 3” on the front ….don’t ask!) and it worked fine like that.

when i lifted my rear i used six jackstands, one on the frame rails infornt of the rear tire on each side 2 on the rear axel and 2 on my trailer hitch. jackstands are like clamps you can never have enough and u can get a set at sears for 15 bucks, only problem is im starting to out grow sears jack stands

I use blocks cut from railroad ties.did one side at a time with the springs still on the jeep.Revolvers were a pitb though.If you knock the jeep off the tie blocks youve done something.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll have to digest it.

I have nothing against jackstands. But Just for the record, the boards in question are 6 inches thick, 18 inches wide
and 30 inches long. Placed crosswise under the rock rails I would think they would be far more stable than any jackstand, since they would have a ground profile 18 inches of wideth and 30 inches of length, or almost 4 square feet, compared to much smaller profile of any jackstand.

I'd need 3 boards (6 inches thick each) to get 18 inches under the rails, and 4 to get 24 inches.

They'd have to slip forward 9inches or sideways 15 inches under weight, to fail.

With the weight of the vechile on them, they are not going to go anywhere, in fact you'd have a hard time moving them with a sledge hammer..

I feel more confident with these holding up the vehicle than a jackstand.

lapaul said:
I am going to use wood boards flat instead of jack stands, and have limited number of boards (hence it will be easier to jack up one side at a time, if I can)

"big wooden blocks" would have been a better description then... let us know how you make out..

Back