• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much for headliner replacment?

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking ofgetting one of thouse $20 headliner kits off ebay that I see all the time. I have a Comanche so I dont think it will be alot of trouble doing it myself. So just wondering if I should take it in or try it myself?

BTW I would call in and ask arround prices but I am on vacation and if the woman knew that I was even on here right now....well...none for me

Thanks
Chris

I got one for my xj at a bone yard for 20$ And I got to pick which one I wanted. I don't think I would ebay something like that, probably wind up being a big headache. just my .02

Take yours out, remove the material and put new material on. You can then pick your color. You can either spray adhesive it or do like I do, remove the material, clean all the old foam off, put new 1/4 or 1/2 foam on it, lay material over and I use those brass paper tacks, the kind that split, back them with washers, all around the edges plus a few in the center areas. In the past I have used camo, either woodland or urban and it comes out nice... I use one of those hand powered push drills to pop holes thru the liner/foam/backerboard/doubled over liner.

Don't go to ebay. Just go to JoAnn fabrics and get some headliner material. It already has the backing on it. Then carefully remove your headliner. Once it's off, strip the old fabric off then use a scrub brush and gently remove the deteriating foam from the fibergass/cardboard shell. Spray both the back of the fabric and the fiberglass with 3M's 77 spray cement. Carefully trim the side but leave enough to "wrap" the front edge. It took my son and I 2 hours to do his 89 cherokee. Their grey is slighty darker and looks real good. You may also find another that you like better.

JoBo

Haven't priced it for an XJ, but for another car I had an estimate for $200. Did it myself as described above for about $35 in materials and 2 hrs from start to finish. I bought the material and glue from a shop that does auto interiors. They had an exact material and color match.

Check around with local upholsery shops,
I got estimates of around $225 but if I removed it and just brought it to them the price went down to $85.00 and they did it there as I waited. I think it was an extra $25.00 for the visors and an extra $25 for the center top console. It came out great.

Go to www.headlinerkit.com they have them for about 35.00 .Thats where I got mine came with cloth and spray adhesive and insterations they have an online tutorial with graphics to help .it even came with retainer clips for dome light and I hav anothe left over to do my sunvisers

I just went to jo ann fabrics and I bought the headliner fabric it cost me $10.99 + 4.99 (3m 77 glue) + tax...Good deal to me :)

Something about shopping a Jo Ann's Fabrics, just isn't right.

BobCSmith said:
Check around with local upholsery shops,
I got estimates of around $225 but if I removed it and just brought it to them the price went down to $85.00 and they did it there as I waited. I think it was an extra $25.00 for the visors and an extra $25 for the center top console. It came out great.
$225..wow! My shop wants only $150 and I live in expensiville USA. The guy was doing a fairly new Range Rover when I walked in that looked as though the sunroof leaked and took the headliner with it. hmmmm

old_man said:
Something about shopping a Jo Ann's Fabrics, just isn't right.
what he said.
a friend of mine had his buick redone for under 100 at a shop here. call around when you get home if you dont want to mess with it, as small as it is it shouldn't be very much. one other thing, you might want to consider therapy seeing how you cant even stay off of naxja during a vacation.

Back