• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire on conferr

LiquidOps

NAXJA Forum User
OK.... I've looked everywhere, and I may just be a complete n00b, I'm ok with that, but I can't find the answer to this.

I have the conferr rack on top of the XJ. I want to put my spare up there, and I know I can buy the adapter from conferr. What does the adapter and mount actually "mount" to?

I don't have the floor kit. I just have the 4 bars that go across.

how does it hook?

Pictures would be awesome.

Thanks

Steven

I have the conferr rack on mine. I looked at the tire mount and it mounts to one of the thick flat bars that go across the width of the rack. However, I have mine held on there with a cable lock and a special bungee. The bungee is actually three bungies with the ends held together in the center. I'm not really sure how to descibe it. Anyways, I'll bet any bungies would work. I've had mine on there for 20,000 miles and never had a problem. Its alot cheaper too.

you might want to go a bit stronger than bungees. a loose tire flying down the road at 70 mph bouncing head high can easily go through a winshield and kill a family(seen it...family of 4). spend a few more dollars and get some ratcheting tie downs at least :lecture:

also.....i made a "floor" out of plywood for my Conferr and bolted it down securely with many large washers. now i can just throw my bike/firewood/ chairs/whatever up there and tie it down...a couple bars with large spaces in between seemed kinda useless

Last edited:
Hey Steve,
I know your jeep, you bought it from my buddy here at work. Anyhow I have the same conferr rack, and I carry a spare on it. I bought it from Dave Druck on the SoCalXJ list years back. I'm taking my rack off this weekend and if you want I'll sell you my tire carrier that bolts to the rack. $20.00 bucks??? Anyhow it is not the stock unit, it is a plate of steal with 3 bolts welded to it to hold the wheel down in place, and it bolts down on the rack. Let me know if you want it.

Thks
Scott Suyeto
Cell (310)629-3944
Located in Gardena, Ca.

All you need is a big eye bolt and the pieces that are used on the inner stock carrier. The eye bolt hooks around one of the rails (floor rails) and then goes the tire then you slide that plastic piece through and then you put a wing nut on it.

PM Mike from NJ as he's got that setup and it cost him only a few bucks to get it done.

And when you're done: NEVER GET A FLAT.

You'll hate dragging a tire of any significant size back and forth off of the roof! :laugh3:

I just went 33x12.5 and I hate putting in the REAR bumper mount! I gotta weight that some time. When I brought them home, I had help from a guy at the shop to get two up on the Con-ferr. To get them down? GET OUT OF THE WAY.

bburge

loop said:
you might want to go a bit stronger than bungees. a loose tire flying down the road at 70 mph bouncing head high can easily go through a winshield and kill a family(seen it...family of 4). spend a few more dollars and get some ratcheting tie downs at least :lecture:

also.....i made a "floor" out of plywood for my Conferr and bolted it down securely with many large washers. now i can just throw my bike/firewood/ chairs/whatever up there and tie it down...a couple bars with large spaces in between seemed kinda useless

Just wanted to clarify that my is also held on with a cable that is locked with a 2"by2"by4" padlock. Its on so tight you can barely move the cable enough to unlock it.
Good point though.

Back