• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual Window Gets Stuck

DannyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The driver side window on my 91 XJ will roll down almost all the way then it gets real tough and the handle just spins and clicks. For a week or two before it finally gave up it was just would almost stick then keep going down fine. I looked inside the door to see a shaft that looks like it contains the gearing, but I have never dealt with this before. Anyone have any pointers? TIA

Either your regulator needs a good cleaning and greasing or it's time for a replacement. http://www.speedyautoparts.com/cgi-bin/speedy/JPGRANDCHEROKEE280.html
In either case you need to remove the door panel for an inspection. I would try to clean the tracks really well with a degreaser then apply white lithum (sp?) grease. You can check if this works while the door panel is off. Watch the plastic runners in the tracks. They should slide freely.

If it works, congradulate yourself on your good fortune. If not then replacement is in order. I haven't done this on an XJ but on other cars, it is a fairly logical process. Requires snaking your arms into the access openings. If you haven't done it before plan on 4 hours or so.
HTH

I forgot to mention that I have manual windows. Can I just get the part at the dealer? TIA

Back