• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny cooler question

92jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 92 xj 4.0 with automatic. I've got 33's on it now and am going to be trailering a motorcycle down to the keys from Orlando. Long straight road. I was told by the guys at Uhaul that the Jeep already has a transmission cooler on it, but, they havn't looked at it yet. Is that a factory option? Is the factory cooler enough? Or, should I get a bigger cooler? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Tylor

XJs with automatic typically route the tranny fluid through the radiator for cooling. That's the standard setup. XJs with factory tow package get an auxiliary external transmission cooler. That looks like a small radiator and mounts on the front lower cross member, in front of the radiator and a/c condenser.

You didn't say what you run for gears. If you're running 33" tires on stock gearing, the tranny is working pretty hard even without a trailer. If you don't have an external cooler, you should add one.

Yeah Eagle, i'm running stock gears. That's why i was looking into get the cooler because i know 33's is pretty much the limit for stock gears without pulling anything. My rig did not come with the factory tow package, so, i'm gonna go ahead and get the HD cooler. The only thing i'll be pulling is a little 4x6 trailer with a Honda streetbike on back, so, it's not alot of extra stress on the brakes. I know to tow anything else, i'll need gears and brakes, but, we'll see how this goes! Thanks Eagle.
Tylor

Back