• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!! I need to get the carrier out of my Dana 44

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I know that there are threads on this subject. I searched and read every post. I tried the rag in the gear method and got a chewed up rag. Then I tried putting a wrench on the ring gear and turning the yoke. The carrier moved a little bit (about 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch), but only on the side with the ring gear. I believe that I did suceed in getting the ring gear bolt a bit tighter though!

I don't have a spreader and really don't want to use or buy one if I can help it. It's a pricey tool, AutoZone doesn't have them to loan, and I doubt that I'll ever use it again.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Robert

not quite sure what a spreader is but what about a pry bar just be sure to put a piece of wood or other sacrificial material between the bar and the case.

I just had that same problem. Use the rag and wrench and make sure the rag gets bunched well.

Tap it back straight before you try again.

Try with two prybars and pry by the ring gear bolts. That's how I got mine out. The rag method didn't work for me and it resulted in the carrier getting crooked in the housing and I had to tap it back in to get it out.

Kejtar said:
Try with two prybars and pry by the ring gear bolts. That's how I got mine out. The rag method didn't work for me and it resulted in the carrier getting crooked in the housing and I had to tap it back in to get it out.

Do you actually place the end of the pry bars against the head of the ring gear bolts?

And to think that I thought that the hard part would be setting it up!!!

Robert

XJWheelie said:
Do you actually place the end of the pry bars against the head of the ring gear bolts?

And to think that I thought that the hard part would be setting it up!!!

Robert

Yeah that's how I did it: the pivot point was on the housing and the tip was under the ring gear bolts and push on the other end.

couple things: once it starts falling out DON"T try to catch it: have a pile of rags or something to have it fall onto. Also pry from both the top and bottom at the same time.

Thanks, I'll have to go get a 2nd pry bar. Now I've got an excuse to head to Sears!

I actually thought that this would be easier with the dif out of the Jeep, but the thing keeps moving around on.

Robert

Thanks Kejtar, the pry bars worked and it popped right out.

Robert

The handiest tool I have for extracting carriers is a pry bar called a Gorilla Bar. It is shaped just right to slip around behind a carrier and lever it out. They are pretty common in hardware stores around here. Harbor Freight had them at the cheapest price.

old_man said:
The handiest tool I have for extracting carriers is a pry bar called a Gorilla Bar. It is shaped just right to slip around behind a carrier and lever it out. They are pretty common in hardware stores around here. Harbor Freight had them at the cheapest price.
PM'd you...
I'm having the same issue! My 44 carrier is STUCK. I can pry one side out 1/16th or so, but it won't move. Rags are shreaded, the ring gear bolt tightened due to the wrench on there, all the same symptoms! I had to put it back together to get to work today, so I was a little bummed!
Gorilla bar, huh? :repair:

Danno said:
we raffled off a Gorilla Bar in Moab. You should have been there! :)
I got skunked at the raffle! :rattle:
! think Terry and that lady got all my tickets! :laugh3:

When I used a pry bar to get mine out I stuck the ends of each pry bar (2 total) in the carrier case where the spider gears are, at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions. Because I'm in a wheelchair I was having problems getting into a position to get 2 pry bars under the ring gear bolts. I alternated pushing on each pry bar while I held the other one and it only took a few pushes to get it out. But mine is sitting in my shop and not on the Jeep, so I don't think that you could do that if it's under the Jeep as both of my pry bars were 25".

Robert

Got it yesterday! Thanks Remi and all who suggested the two smaller prybars.
The rear Detroit is in now, and I'm amazed at how quiet it is so far. :wave:
Thanks again.

Back