• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Permanent way to remount factory flares

Roxtar

NAXJA Forum User
Due to many threads talkking about mounting lares I thought I would post an idea that has worked beautifully for me.
After repeatedly having to remount the factory flares when the POS mounting brackets would let lose I was about to give up and go to TJ flares. Then a racer buddy gave me a suggestion. He said they use silicone sealer to mount all kinds of body parts to the midget racers and that I should try it.
It is quite possibly the second best use of silicone mankind has ever come up with.
First, clean the crap out of the inside lip of the flare (where the mounting brackets fit in place) and the mounting brackets themselves. I mean eat-off-them clean. Then take a piece of very rough sandpaper and scratch up that same area of the flare where the mounts fit. Really rough them up. Next take acetone and wipe down the area you just scuffed up along with the mounting brackets. This will give you a super clean surface for the next step.
Get 2 or 3 calk gun size tubes of pure silicone sealer. Put a large (3/4" or so) bead of the silicone inside the flare lip where the mounting brackets sit. Also put some over and around the little flare lips where the mounts hook on. Now put the mounting brackets in place and squirt even more silicone between the flare and mounts. Just silicone the $hit out of them (making sure to wipe away any silicone that will interfere with the flare to body placement). Do the rest of the flares the same and set them aside for a day or so to completely dry. When you're done these two pieces (well, actually three pieces with the flare and two mounting bracket) will now be one piece forever.
Mount them back on the vehicle and they will never come loose again.
I was amazed at how strong the silicone bonds to the parts.

instead of using silicon which is not the best bonding agent use 3m's 5200 it is a caulk used in the marine industry that forms super strong flexible bonds 1000 times better than silicone

bj-666 said:
instead of using silicon which is not the best bonding agent use 3m's 5200 it is a caulk used in the marine industry that forms super strong flexible bonds 1000 times better than silicone
I would've agreed with you before doing this. Silicone has very strong bonding strength. Much better than I imagined.

I mounted my flares with automotive panel bonding adhesive, no brakets used, just shot the adhesive on the flare and slapped it up to the body. If I wanted them off I'd probally have to cut and grind them off!

i know silicone can creat a pretty good bond. but i also know having worked with the 5200 many times that it is far superior to the silicone i operate and maintain 2 charter boats and if it is a good bond that you want everyone uses 5200 they also make 4200 which allows for easier removal at a later date.

I don't like silicone personally.... To the touch that is, I mean, hell, they look good and all, and I would never kick them outta bed and all, but ...

Wait...

Just forget it

:D

I don't know anything about the 5200. I DO know that this setup w/ silicone is NOT coming off.

Back