• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil Spring Compressor...should I?

btraysxj

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3980

I need to pull my springs this weekend, 4.5 RE's, and I am doing this alone. I have pulled them before without a spring compressor however I had assistance. For $10 it seems worth it to have the compressors handy or am I just asking for trouble using them?

Just looking for some insight.

btray

btraysxj said:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3980

I need to pull my springs this weekend, 4.5 RE's, and I am doing this alone. I have pulled them before without a spring compressor however I had assistance. For $10 it seems worth it to have the compressors handy or am I just asking for trouble using them?

Just looking for some insight.

btray
deja vu... I swear I saw this topic someplace already...
Anyways compressors are dangerous and you can get 4.5" RE springs onto a shock tower that has a 1.75" spacer on it already without the use of a compressor. For more details run a search :D

if you do decide to use one i would get something better than what harbor freight has to offer. loan a tool from autozone maybe

When I installed my lift, I did not even know they existed. I just undid the lower control arms and that allowed enough movement of the axle to get the springs out and back in easily. I did it alone with hand tools and absolutely no problems, and I knew a lot less about the XJ than I do now, which is still virtually nothing. :D
B.

Ramsey said:
if you do decide to use one i would get something better than what harbor freight has to offer. loan a tool from autozone maybe

A very good point here, you should read it again.

For the amount of work it takes to drop the axles far enough to install springs, the risk of a spring compressor failing is not worth it, IMHO. IF you are gonna use a compressor, do not go cheap...that is just asking for injury.

Rev

I used the Harbor Freight ones. Good for one use, if you are going to use them. I wouldn't trust them more than that. Cheap metal, cheaper clips...not worth your safety.

i've used the ones from autozone twice, once on my xj and on a friends zj. they worked fine. except on his we were tightening down to get it back in to make up for the room of the spacer. and one slipped over some and the spring bowed out badly. it caught my hand, hurt pretty good too. we had to get another pair to throw one to keep it safe and get it back down. next time i do spring work, i am not gonna be lazy and just undo the extra couple bolts. however, if your careful, they will work fine.

if you do rent some, get strut compressors and not spring compressors

Last edited:
Spring compressors = danger

Just drop the whole front axle, its not that hard.

I didn't want to remove the lower control arm, so I use a strut compressor that I got from Sears. It didn't take much compression, but it came in handy. If you use one just be careful, follow the warnings that come with them and don't get cheap ones.

Robert

Great Avatar man.....

btray

jeepxjga said:
Spring compressors = danger

Just drop the whole front axle, its not that hard.

I picked up some strut compressors from Autozone, but am now thinking of just getting it done somewhere. Everything is really rusted and hard to get things out of the way like shocks and sway bar links. Is there any way to get the stock springs out without taking off to much other stuff?

Thanks to everyone who replied. I did my install without a compressor but I was hoping to make it easier on myself. Easier shouldn't mean more dangerous... so the input is much appreciated.

btray

nhrocker said:
I picked up some strut compressors from Autozone, but am now thinking of just getting it done somewhere. Everything is really rusted and hard to get things out of the way like shocks and sway bar links. Is there any way to get the stock springs out without taking off to much other stuff?

Nope! My XJ came from Michigan so I dealt with a lot of rust. I have a 2000 Sport and it was still a pain. I would recommend you start soaking the bolts now with good penetrating oil and soak them daily for a week or so before the work. Aside from that I would recommend you do the lift yourself. You learn a lot that way...

btray

I soaked everything in PB for at least a week if not 2 or more and the stuff I've been trying to get off so far is still seized on there good. I was hoping I could get away without taking off too much like the sway bar or LCAs. Is it possible to take off only the shocks and do it?

nhrocker said:
I soaked everything in PB for at least a week if not 2 or more and the stuff I've been trying to get off so far is still seized on there good. I was hoping I could get away without taking off too much like the sway bar or LCAs. Is it possible to take off only the shocks and do it?

I don't think so.... actually highly doubt it. Especially the sway bar, but no matter what the sway bar has to get disconnected if you want to flex it up.

btray

disconnect:
sway bar, track bar, lower arms, shocks, remove and hang brake calipers, and have the chassis as high as you can get it on stands.

lower axle. Remove old springs, slip in new.

Lather, rinse, repeat...

Back