• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a ZJ or KJ overhead console fit a XJ?

badexpresso

NAXJA Forum User
Will a ZJ or KJ overhead console fit a XJ with minimal or no mods?

Anyone know? I like the small overhead console on the ZJ.

badexpresso said:
Will a ZJ or KJ overhead console fit a XJ with minimal or no mods? Anyone know? I like the small overhead console on the ZJ.

Realize this is an old post, but I want to do the same thing. Did you ever get it done? Thanks; Don

i bet a ZJ one would be the closest i have taken a friends apart and its similar to my XJ atleast in ho wit fastens on, i havent looked closely at the dimensions though

ZJ one will fit, but you will have to swap out the trip computer for the XJ one to get anything but the compass to work. WJ I don' t think will even fit. The computer in them are compleatly different from the older ones.

if it doesnt fit perfect make a MDF surround and fiber glass it, and paint flat black. Get a profile guage (looks like a bunch of little pins that copies the profile or shape of an object) cut MDF to match the xj roof profile then set the new overhead consule in its new mount surround. Dont limit your self to ZJ or KJ (since it sounds like your on a budget) you could just go pick n pull brouzing and get one from an impala, a tahoe, a astro, a maxima, a minivan. What ever. You get the idea.

Should be able to find a mint one for about $10 bucks if your not picky about what it comes out of.

motorcityxj said:
if it doesnt fit perfect make a MDF surround and fiber glass it, and paint flat black. Get a profile guage (looks like a bunch of little pins that copies the profile or shape of an object) cut MDF to match the xj roof profile then set the new overhead consule in its new mount surround. Dont limit your self to ZJ or KJ (since it sounds like your on a budget) you could just go pick n pull brouzing and get one from an impala, a tahoe, a astro, a maxima, a minivan. What ever. You get the idea.

Should be able to find a mint one for about $10 bucks if your not picky about what it comes out of.
Um not if he wants it to work. The only thing that will work completely on an XJ is an XJ console. ZJ & minivan (91-95) the only thing he will have is compass. Anything else including WJ, KJ will error out (at least that is what I have been told).

scoobyxj said:
Um not if he wants it to work. The only thing that will work completely on an XJ is an XJ console. ZJ & minivan (91-95) the only thing he will have is compass. Anything else including WJ, KJ will error out (at least that is what I have been told).

i figured he just wanted the lights and the eyeglass/sunglass holder etc. I wouldnt worry to much about a compass, its not 1991 i would rather have a GPS than a digital compass integrated into my overhead. (should have traidtional compass as back up or maps anyways). My 75 whistler radar detector has a nicer integrated compass than the overheads did anyways.

Good point though since i didnt mention it and no one else did about the functionalty of the non stock "features" of other model overheads.

I'm pretty sure the "advanced" features will not work, like gas mileage, etc. But ZJ's were OBD-1 up to 1997 I believe, so they just might. Main reason I am looking at the ZJ console is because of it's small size. The much longer XJ console needs to shortened at the rear by at least 10" to fit into my 91 MJ cab (OBD-1). The main features I want are the lights of course, plus the ambient air temp and compass. I'm pretty sure these features will work since they do not depend on the ECU for signaling. If any other features of the console work it will be a bonus. Thanks for all the replies. Going to hit the junque yard next week to take some measurements.

Back