• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift gate stuck

goodburbon

NAXJA Forum User
My 1997's lift gate is stuck, apparently the linkage from the handle to the latch has come undone, I can fix it if I can get it open....but I can't see a way to do that without cutting the plastic. Anyone got any Ideas, aside from "crawl through the doors"

You can pry the top edge of the panel (just below the glass) away the the hatch. There are only spring clips in this area that will pop loose. Though the opening you'll be able to reach your arm down inside to manually release the hatch.

It isn't a linkage, but rather a little nub that breaks off the back of the handle. I ended up cutting a hole (a 97) but if the previous suggestion works all the better.

OH, yeah. Have you tried pushing in on the gate while trying the handle?

My 98 did the same thing when I first got it.
Try pushing on the gat from the outside while engaging the handle.
If that doesnt work do what I did, pry open the back panel above the wiper area by the glass. Shine a light in there and you'll see the operating controls.

I had to spray a bunch of PB Blaster on the mechanism. Was pretty cruddy.
There is a threaded bar about 3-4 inches ling in there. It has a small metal clip attached to it that holds the connecting rod to the liftgage handle. Pry off the clip, gently as to make sure it does not get distorted. Then lift up the threaded bar about an 1/8 of an inch and re-attach and crimp clip.

This slightly adjusts the handle setting making it much easier to open.

I just replaced the liftgate anti-rattle bumpstops, so now I have to push in a little on the gate and lift the handle to open it.
Hope this helps.

got it fixed, thanks, I pried the panel out below the window, reached in and pulled up on the "threaded" rod. Once open I clipped the rod into the clip, I had done this before, but it apparently fell out again, and last time the door magically opened by prying from the inside, I shoulda known i could pry the panel out, but I was worried about creasing it and discoloring the plastic. This time I tie-wrapped the clip onto the rod. Thank you for the help.

gonna need more though. today was a jeep fixin day

Back