• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lots of Trimming with Stock '97+ Flares

BrianJr

NAXJA Forum User
I have been running flareless for a few months and don't like it. So I was looking at ways to add flares again. As I have the stock flares I've been considering how to use those.

I had trimmed away the holes for the original brackets. I talked with a guy at a body shop and he suggested using 3M trim adhessive to attach the flares. I didn't think it would work but after a few weeks with one of the flares glued on as a test it looks like it will. Have any of you used this stuff to hold flares on for any length of time?

The stock flares are quite a bit above the seam that runs around the wheel wells. It seems that I could trim a lot more metal if I ran this type of setup. So it looks like I could get rid of some bumpstop height too. I am not eager to cut my fenders above the seam for the flares without knowing if anyone else has used this 3M adhessive successfully.

Anyway, just curious if anyone here had tried this

Thanks,
-Brian

We trimmed my brother's 97 and used 3M tape to hold the flares back on. We found that it had a hard time sticking to the flares, so we used a staple gun to attach the tape to the flares. We also ended up using two layers to fill the gap b/w the flare mounting surface and the body. In order to keep dirt from getting on the tape, we shot a little great stuff right where the flares mount to the body. Finally, for the small gap still left in between the flares and body on the outside, we put some black silicone...this ended up looking real good. It's been a few months w/ a few wheeling trips and they've held up great. You can yank on them and all it does is pull the fender out. However, they probably won't fare very well against a tree or rock...we'll see....

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

I recently saw a much better way to do this for someone who hasn't cut any metal yet. Cut notches in the metal so you can bend tabs of metal perpendicular to the fender. Then use rivets through the top of the flares to hold them on. Looked real good and they definitely won't go anywhere.

BrentNClemson,

Nice job. How much metal did you remove? Did you cut off the fold for the flares (it looks like you did). How much metal did you leave below the flare?

I didn't have any problem getting the 3M adhessive to stick - but I also wiped everything down with acetone beforehand. This is also the glue stuff which is stronger than the tape and doesn't have any thickness to it. I am also a little concerned about which will give up first - the glue or the metal - when I rub on a tree.

The rivits idea is a good one too - might be worth doing on the ends in case something happens to the glue for some reason...

Thanks,
-Brian

BTW: I also like the cable you've got securing the swaybar.

Here's a picture before we put the flare on...we cut right above where the fold was, I think...you can see where the top of the flare used to be...

1.jpg

I guess I saw 3M and thought tape, but the adhesive sounds like a good plan too, assuming you can fill that gap w/ it. The glue would probably give up first if you hit a tree...but hopefully it would just scrape it and not hurt the fender too much.

That swaybar cable is a lot better than putting zip ties on there every time. It was only about $4 in materials too, can't beat that! Put some pictures up when you get those flares figured out, I'd like to see em.

Brent

what did you use for an inner fenderwell? I thrimmed mine and in the process broke up the inner fender. I need it to pass inspection. I was thinking about that aluminum tape stuff that they will accept as a form of body repair. Any ideas?

Brett----What did you use to cut the flare. I will be cutting mine up soon but trying to decide what to cut it with so that it doesnt chip up my painted flares to bad.

Centrevillemx said:
what did you use for an inner fenderwell? I thrimmed mine and in the process broke up the inner fender. I need it to pass inspection. I was thinking about that aluminum tape stuff that they will accept as a form of body repair. Any ideas?

You're talking about the plastic liner, right? I took mine out, we only have emissions inspections down here in GA. How strict are they on that? I'd probably take some of the old liner and rivet it in there as good as you can. Or that aluminum tape could work as a short term solution to pass the inspection.

Brett----What did you use to cut the flare. I will be cutting mine up soon but trying to decide what to cut it with so that it doesnt chip up my painted flares to bad.

I think we used an angle grinder...but if you're not careful it will melt the plastic more than cut it. A hacksaw or really sharp utility knife would work well too and not hurt the paint much. Good luck.

Brent

I searched around a bit and looked at what the other guys in the local club did. A lot of people here recommend stuffing a pool noodle up into the fender to block mud from getting into the door hinges.

Some of the local guys built up a wall of great stuff expanding foam and sanded it smooth. I thought the great stuff would pulverize on the trail but they have been doing it for a few years without problems. I have not done it yet (waiting for a warmer day). However, they described that you could just slowly build up a wall by spraying a little, letting it start to dry, and then spraying some more on top of it

-Brian

Centrevillemx said:

Back