• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does Anybody Know If...

I've never come across a pulley set for the 4.0. That's not to say it couldn't be done, but there would be considerable parts research involved.

If you're talking about an underdrive pulley set like they put on the mustang 5.0's it's highly unlikely. On this engine the harmonic balancer and the crank pulley are one unit. On most other engines you can actually remove the crank pulley FROM the harmonic balancer and put a smaller one on and then put on the slightly larger pulleys for the accessories. The only way this would work is if there was a third party harmonic balancer with a removable pulley that would fit the crank snout. Even then you'd probably start to run into radiator clearance problems due to how close the crank is to the radiator.

Mark

There are underdrive pulleys that have the balancer removed. It works fine u don't relly need one anyway not only spinning to 5K at least.

Fenton Beech

With all the NVH issues (Noise, Vibration, Harmonics) in the standard IC engine, you'll not catch me running without some sort of vibration damper...

That said, the underdrive pully concept is not strictly limited to changing the crankshaft pully - you can increase the size of the water pump pully, alternator pully, and even the power steering pump pully to slow those accessories down, and gain the same net effect. I have recently seen OVERdrive pullys for the Delco alternator, checking around with outfits like March Performance Pullys can probably turn up "underdrive" pullys for the Delco alternator, the Metric Saginaw power steering pump, and maybe the Mitsubishi alternator used in the late model XJ's - I just haven't checked yet...

Meanwhile, I'll put a set on the drawing board, if there's enough interest. I've got a decent list going already...

5-90

Additional - Since I've been a bit interested in this myself for my own nefarious reasons, I've put out a couple feelers - give me a few days, and be ready to give me some measurements just in case...

5-90

Last edited:
Back