• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I really need skid guards?

IdeaMan

NAXJA Forum User
I just asked this same question on another message board... hope nobody takes offense to that... I just wanted to get a lot of opinions on this.

Anyway, I just purchased a 97 Cherokee Sport 4x4 and I'm dying to hit some trails with it. I've already installed a Hidden Hitch and I have front tow hooks in the mail. Recovery points are covered! (just need to get a recovery strap)

This Jeep is in cherry condition right now and I hate to ruin it. I don't plan to lift it for a while, as I've read I should drive it like it is and learn the capabilities of a fairly stock vehicle first.

That being said, what skid plates, rock rails, etc. do I really need before hittin' the road less traveled? I don't plan on going on any majorly difficult/dangerous/rocky trails right now so do I really need any of these?

Yes, you do. Absolutely no question that you should armor what you have. Even with a stocker.

Personally, I'd start with rocker skids. Then gas tank and tcase.

Depends on the terrain you want to cover. Even on the "easy" trails, there's always potential for SOME kind of damage. That being said, I "wheeled" my rig for a while before actually doing anything extreme enough to damage the rockers.

If you want to keep your baby pristine, then you definately want to get rocker guards right away. After that, transfer case and gas tank skids. If you're not too worried about the body (sounds like you are though), wait on the rock rails and go straight to t-case and gas tank.

Just remember: body damage is cosmetic, putting a hole in your gas tank or smashing the bottom of your transfer case isn't. :)

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the gas tank is less likely to get struck than the transfer case or rockers. Has anyone actually seen a gas tank get a hole in it (not just a dent) while wheeling?

with a stock height rig you are alot closer to the rocks.... rails are a must as well as a tank and t/case skid... i have not seen a tank get punctured. but have bashed them plenty of times.. plastic will only take so much abuse before it fails.. and a steel tank will not "pop" back into shape when you bash it in.... a tank skid should be right near the top of the list... bashing your tank enough will lead to possible interferance with the pickup, as well as making it so the skid doesnt fit when you do get it... get a good set of rails that attatch to the pinch weld too.. "step bars" are just cosmetic and will not stand up to abuse.....

If your gonna tangle with any rocks, sooner or later a sharp one will probably find the gas tank.
I took my rock rails off, supposedly, the approved rails from the dealer. Looked like a slide down a rock would do more damge to the frame (the way they were attached) than the rock would do to the rocker panel.
I have a HD transfer case/tranny skid, with an extra cross brace. Mine is only lifted a couple of inches.
Most of my driving is high speed dirt roads, ditches and forest (stumps).
A gas tank skid is on my to do list, not many rocks around here.
If it´s just scratching up your Jeep with brush, it´s gonna get dinged up, if you off road much. If you pound it some, on the dirt roads, things are gonna break and fall off.

Rocker and t-case come first in my opinion. It's been my experience that the rear hitch does part of the job of protecting the gas tank. T-case is vulnerable and pricey.The rockers are visible and once dented pricy to fix correctly.

My .02

Daryl

ChiXJeff said:
Personally, I'd start with rocker skids. Then gas tank and tcase.
I would start with the gas tank skid. Second would be a toss-up between transfer case and rocker protection.

I'd agree with Eagle. I would also note that you need to have proper tow hook mounting brackets on a unibody vehicle like the XJ. Maybe you already know that. Since you only mentioned "tow hooks" being in the mail, I just wanted to be sure.

Ya, I'll be installing the Rusty's tow hooks as soon as they come in the mail. I do have a question... to get the front bumper off, I read it takes a torx tool but I've seen 3 different sizes mentioned... anyone know for sure? I'd like to go buy it before the tow hooks show up.

IdeaMan said:
Ya, I'll be installing the Rusty's tow hooks as soon as they come in the mail. I do have a question... to get the front bumper off, I read it takes a torx tool but I've seen 3 different sizes mentioned... anyone know for sure? I'd like to go buy it before the tow hooks show up.
jeepguy97 said:
Did they change it with the body redesign? On my 96 it was a T-47 bolt...go into Checker and ask to borrow the tool for fit if there's a question. I've done that a few times, but I've got a pretty good rapport with those guys, which makes it easier.

IdeaMan said:
just go to the parts store and buy the set. It should be under $20 and you'll need them all some day.

y2kxj said:
just go to the parts store and buy the set. It should be under $20 and you'll need them all some day.

I agree.

Yucca-Man, You are correct, I just went out and checked, I must have been thinking of the bumper bolts on my old Wrangler they were T-55.

T-47 it is.

Back