• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker with NP242

KIAKillerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just want somw confirmation with my reasoning: sometimes my noggin don't work so good :) The whole idea behind the full time mode in 4wd in that it acts like an open diff, alowing the tires to turn at diferent speeds, allowing for smooth on-road behavior. If I were to put in a non-selectable locker (i.e. Detroit, Lockright, NoSlip) my full-time mode is going to become useless, correct? Really my only option to keep operation as-is in fulltime would be selectable, right? Just double checking- Thanks

Naw it will just spin the front or the rear separately if one or the other loses traction. If the front starts spinning then the rear will be worthless as well as the other way around. Still better than all open but you could solve the problem by putting it in part time and lock all the tires together.

WobblesXJ said:
Naw it will just spin the front or the rear separately if one or the other loses traction. If the front starts spinning then the rear will be worthless as well as the other way around. Still better than all open but you could solve the problem by putting it in part time and lock all the tires together.
fairly sure thats incorrect...

I may be wrong, but I think the 242s full time option is more like a limited slip than an open diff. I think with a locker it would still work, but too what extent I don't know. I know alot of people run the 242 locked front and rear and it seems to work well. I think the only strength defrence between the 231 and 242 is the full time planatary gearset? Not sure about that one though.

with the 242 there is a vicious(sp?) coupling inside the case i belive and when in full time it acts as an open differential, diverting power to the area with least resistance. so if you locked the rear with full time it would be fine...unless the front starts to spin in that case no power will go to the rear, to solve that one just go to part time. If you put a locker up front and drive in full time i belive you may have some problems(ive read on the aussie locker site that you shouldnt put a atuo locker in the front axle of a full time 4wd vehicle) of course if you dont always drive in full time and do drive in 2hi you will be fine.

so the locker will be useless if you wheel in full time, because of the slippage in the tcase. to fix; wheel in part time

bottom line...it will be ok

Just wondering if I was locked front and rear, would I still be able to use full-time on road, maybe that clarifies my question some. Thanks again

The SPOBI in this thread is astounding. :puke:

The three differentials (front, T-case & rear) act independently of each other. Part time vs full time modes in the 242 only determines whether that differential is locked or open, respectively, which is what determines if you can drive it on pavement or not. It allows the front and rear driveshafts to spin at different speeds, required during turns when there is no wheel slip since the front and rear wheels follow different paths through a turn. The front & rear differentials allow the left & right wheels on each axle to turn at different speeds in a similar manner.

You will still be able to use full time 4wd on the road if you are locked front and rear... however, it will still be sending torque to the front, which will engage the locker in that axle, and make steering quirky. The locked rear will act the same regardless of 2wd, part time or full time 4wd operation.

The best recipe is to put an auto or selectable locker in the rear and a selectable one in the front.

Lawn Cher' said:
The SPOBI in this thread is astounding. :puke:

The three differentials (front, T-case & rear) act independently of each other. Part time vs full time modes in the 242 only determines whether that differential is locked or open, respectively, which is what determines if you can drive it on pavement or not. It allows the front and rear driveshafts to spin at different speeds, required during turns when there is no wheel slip since the front and rear wheels follow different paths through a turn. The front & rear differentials allow the left & right wheels on each axle to turn at different speeds in a similar manner.

You will still be able to use full time 4wd on the road if you are locked front and rear... however, it will still be sending torque to the front, which will engage the locker in that axle, and make steering quirky. The locked rear will act the same regardless of 2wd, part time or full time 4wd operation.

The best recipe is to put an auto or selectable locker in the rear and a selectable one in the front.

Ditto what he said.

I run a 242 with Lock-Rights front and rear and for all intents and purposes, it's now a 2WD truck on the pavement. It's quirky and not enjoyable to drive with the front locker in 4 wheel drive, either full or part time. It can be driven though and is certainly better in full time versus part time but it's not something I make a habit of.

Back