• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POOR old MJ *** Sensor I think HELP PLease***

jeeping31

NAXJA Forum User
Hey you yall I look at everyone problems well Now I have one I a east coast hardcore MJ and XJ! Hear it goes everyone this is what happen to my MJ and my luck. I was driving for hour and a half and stop at a stop light. I had to get into the right lane to make a left at the next light anyway I gas it!!! Not to hard but like a half pedal. I got to about 3 rpm to 2 gear and it cut off ....Now saying all this my MJ was running top notch no problems I know it got to be a sensor Let hear it I will try and buy to get my MJ going !!!! Oh my mj is a 91 long bed inline 6 high output?????? HELP HELP Thank you anyone that will take there time to help a poor clueless jeep guy! :hang:

More information, please. Describe how it cut out -- did it just die sudenly and completely, or did it stutter and stumble and run rough for a few seconds before it totally ceased to run?

What have you checked so far? Does it have gas in the tank? Is there fuel pressure in the fuel rail? Do you have spark?

check the fuses... a friend blew a fuse in the hmmmm heater? i dont remember, but it was one of the big spade fuses next to the relays under the hood and the engie just cut out. On the freeway. we replaced the fuse and everything workd fine. he was running all the optional equipment too tho, heater, stereo, seat warmers, head lights, everything that taxes the electrical system...

Like Eagle says, it could be a lot of things, but it sounds like the crank position sensor to me.

Fred

second that on the crank sensor, when the oil gets allover the block as xj's get older it hits the crank sensor and expandes the rubber, happened to me the same way, if it was more of a stutter problem and it died at a near idle it may be a vacuum hose to the egr valve, I have had that happen before and it gave me some serious whiplash type hesitation and died at a near idle and in reverse.

dellstopjeep said:
second that on the crank sensor, when the oil gets allover the block as xj's get older it hits the crank sensor and expandes the rubber, happened to me the same way, if it was more of a stutter problem and it died at a near idle it may be a vacuum hose to the egr valve, I have had that happen before and it gave me some serious whiplash type hesitation and died at a near idle and in reverse.

A '91 HO wouldn't have EGR, IIRC.

Check the coil, it may provide spark but not enough. I had one go bad, tried everything, it had spark fuel, changed CPS, still no start. Took it to the dealer, and they put in a new coil and it fired right up.

Dan

My old MJ die like I turn the key and cut it off ..It just die no noise nothing ..yes I have a half a tank of gas I have pressure on the fuel rail also. I just replace the crank position sensor it when out of me on trail five in tellico anyways I had two people say like XJ_ranger said. But I have not the coil I will do that thanks everyone for the info WILL update :rattle:

Everyone well I not getting fire to the motor I just got a coil to try out to see if it works ...does any one know any thing else ? OH it will turn over and over and over I check the fuel side of what you need for my jeep to run :repair: :twak:

Back