• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do i need this part??

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
My son was out playing in the Jeep , trying to run no swaybar in the front while wheeling and he stuffed the the tires into the fender to the point that we have trail rash (Yea, i have stories to tell know). The tire also contacted the oblong round shaped thing that is the passenger fender and tore it off completely hoses and all. My Q? is this , Do i need to put this piece back on or can i drive without it???

that is the vacume canister. It stores vacume for cruise control, AC vents and a few other important engine functions. You need it. Until you get another follow what hoses you have left and plug it up with a bolt in the end. that will get you by untill you buy another and will keep you from losing vacume and sucking up trash in the engine.

If you take the canister off, vacuum functions will tend to slack off under low-vacuum conditions; your heater will tend to go to defrost every time you go up a steep hill, and the cruise probably won't work well at all. If you have a vacuum disconnect axle, it will pop out of 4WD at inopportune moments, too.

You can move it inboard, somewhere in the engine compartment.

I just kinda set mine along the passenger fender under the hood and ziptied it to some wires. Till you find another one just hook the hoses together.

You don't have to get a replacement from and xj if you cant find one. Almost any vehicle will have one somewhere. GM cars atually use one that looks identical in those same years.

Look on Delta 88's, caprice, cutlass, and other stuff like that from the 70's and 80's.

I did the same thing before I lifted my XJ. I just placed mine up under the hood on the right fender (inside wall) reconnected the hoses and never had another problem. But you do need this Part!!! Good luck,

Casper

The screws most likely worked loose is my guess, then if the fender liner was trimmed for clearance it could have fallen out and gotten against the tire.

I always kinda thought that behind the bumper was a dumb place for it anyway. Whatever works I guess.

Bumper is not currently on my XJ. We are in the process of making a new one so put it in behind fender brace for the time being. OPPS not a good spot i guess.:(

Back